Ikea wardrobe fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

So I managed to ruin my idea wardrobe when putting it together.

The bottom plank and side plank are joined together by screws however the screws have ripped out of the side plank where it screws into. I can no longer push te two planks together to make it flush and the screws obviously no longer hold the two planks together.
I competed the rest of the wardrobe and it stands fine ATM.

I was wondering is there a way to give the wardrobe extra support? Do I add brackets to the bottom of the wardrobe where the bottom and side planks join? I'm a complete novice to DIY so any help would e great!

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
In the past I have had similar problems with melamine covered chipboard furniture. Where the joint is hidden, or inside a wardrobe, I have very successfully used a piece of 38 x 25mm timber screwed two ways in several places. This makes a much stronger joint than screwing into chipboard.

For Ikea type furniture:

1) Always use an Ikea family card when purchasing them, any accidents during assembly will be covered.

2) I always glue all dowels and the metal screw in fixings. (this voids the above Ikea warranty according to CS.)

3) Use the above linked blocks where needed and add extra screw where they will not be seen.

4) Assemble in the room it will be in so there is less movement.

If you skip #2 and make a mistake they have no facility for replacing any pieces, you have to hope that they have a spare pack.
Calling their help line is useless and costly, much better to go to an actual store and ask, then get them to call another store to check if they have the pice (unless you can get actual store numbers).

I accidentally pushed a dowel all the way through a cupboard a few months ago - first in 20+ years.It was a nghtmare trying to get a replacement even when offering to pay for it. Has I bought it with a family card they would have opened a pack for me.

Sponsored Links
Thanx guys!!! Advice much appreciated. I got my hands on those blocks and it looks much sturdier now! Will be signing up for a ikea family card now!'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back