IKEA: Why does this sh*t always happen to me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started off this week-end with a fairly straightforward project idea. An 80cm x 200cm space on the wall where I want to put a cupboard, with a couple of printers. Except they're heavy. And so I wanted shelves that are a little more sturdy than the usual shelves which just rest on some rods.

Ah, that will be easy, I figured, the fridge/freezer unit comes with a heavy-duty shelf. It's got bolts that go through it, and gives a lot more support

In fact I have one of these in my kitchen, and it looks up to the job.

So I had a chat with IKEA. The brackets... have a part number. The screws that go into the shelf... have a part number. The shelf with pre-drilled and countersunk holes ... has no part number. Oh well... how hard can it be to cut a bit of melamine up to the correct size and drill and countersink some holes. So off I go to talk to customer services to get my screws and brackets. It turns out the screws are available. So I order some FOC. But the brackets are not available. And there is no availability date. In spite of the fact that they are absolutely available in the very unit that they bloody sell!

That's this one:

And it's clearly in the manual.

And further the whole shelf is available from the US

(But a similar search reveals nothing in the EU)

Of course, it's just a bracket. Probably be able to find something equivalent that takes the load, but it probably won't have screw holes in the right places, so I'll have to drill them, and I'll need to be precise cutting the shelf. Loads of hassle I don't need when it could have been so easy!

Sponsored Links
I found colour matched paint and screwed battens to support a shelf repair to an ikea wardrobe. Hack or bodge, it worked

I can steal the heavy duty shelf from under my existing kitchen oven, and I can replace it with the new not-so-heavy-duty-but-good-enough one. The new-style oven support is sold separately:

That gives me one decent shelf to hold my 200cm unit stable and stop it bowing out.

Then (as you said) I'll botch another shelf by using the standard shelves, with some slotted angle underneath for reinforcement, e.g.

I think it'll work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back