Illegal conversion and build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm at a loss where to turn to concerning an illegal conversion of a two bedroom house oposite my property that has been turned into two flats, and a has had an extension bigger than the original footprint of the house built on the side and rear to make three dwellings in total. Both flats in the original house are occupied. I informed my council in january of last year(2014) of what was happenning as there was no proposed development on their web site, and officers did visit. Work continued to commence and on contacting the councils planning department again, in short all i got was that they are 'extremely busy'.
Inside the property, all chimney stacks were removed and no party wall agreement was agreed with the neighbour. The actual chimney though is still above the roof! Considering new windows that were put into the property had just lenghts of 2x4 timbers above, i wonder what is holding up the chimney! The council were also informed of this by myself and the neighbour.
Having heard nothing from the council i emailed them again some 10 months later and they asked if i had any proof the house was being used as two flats. I sent them a picture of the front of the property showing there was two sperate letter boxes attached to a post next to the front door. The councils reply was 'Thanks', nothing more. Strangeley though, two days after sending the picture, one of the letterboxes was removed.
Now, according to the planning site a 'Retention application' is being sought even though the form says the building work has not been carried out yet????. Was i by law or any regulations supposed to have been informed of any progress concerning this property after bringing this to the councils attention? It just seems to me there is something underhanded going on here. I have kept this brief but I can go into more detail with any questions should they be asked.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You cannot force the council to do anything under Planning or Building Regulations laws.
Have you nothing better to do than complain about something over the road?

Ask the Council if they are getting two lots of tax? It was suggested to me some time ago, that once they get that, they don't concern themselves with things anymore.

Have you nothing better to do than complain about something over the road?

Why do you say that?
Would you like an illegal landlord converting a property next door or opposite to your house, looking like a dump and being rented out just like the beds in sheds?
Would just like a bit of advice but then maybe i'm in the wrong place.

Sponsored Links
Ask the Council if they are getting two lots of tax? It was suggested to me some time ago, that once they get that, they don't concern themselves with things anymore.

Thanks Planenut. Have asked but never get a reply that answers question, just that 'it's being looked into' and never an answer.

Would just like a bit of advice but then maybe i'm in the wrong place.

As before, you cannot demand that the council does anything about it.

Under Planning rules, all the council can do is issue an enforcement notice, but they have to be very sure of their case beforehand. Should the landlord win an appeal, the council could be in for costs.

Similarly with Building regulations, if they don't take action within 1 year, it becomes time-barred.

As regards the Party Wall Act, that's an entirely private matter between the owner and people next door. It's not a criminal offence not to apply the Act.

If you really have to be a pain, perhaps you could speak with your local housing department - they will be responsible for regulating houses in multiple occupation. They can enforce amenity standards and issues concerning the general condition of the property.

Looking for them? And I did? This has turned up on my doorstep. I thought this site would have been a bit more mature, but obviously not. Won't bother again.

Thanks Planenut. Have asked but never get a reply that answers question, just that 'it's being looked into' and never an answer.

check this website if they are paying 2 or more amounts off council tax the property will be sub divided and 2 amounts
http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/inits.asp

Bloody hell Upsetter. Stop being such a darn busy body and get on with your own life. Stop meddling with other people's, especially when they have so little affect on you. They're hardly extending over your land now, are they!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back