Illuminated mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed a light/shaver unit from my bathroom wall as I now want to fit an illuminated mirror there instead. The wire coming out of the wall has 1 red wire, one black one and a copper wire. The red and black were the only ones connected to the old fixture. When I want to put up my new mirror will it be as simple as connecting the back and the red???

Sponsored Links
you might need to provide a little more details on the illumiated mirror you have purchased.

Is it IP44 rated, what rating and type of bulbs/tubular lamps does it take?
You will most likely need to connect the bare copper wire you are referring to (earth) along with the live (red) and neutral (black), but all this should be stated in the instructions.

should be fairly straight forward it seems, but I would say hang on until someone like :evil: JohnD :evil: decides to input his views on all this.
I guess, you have the supply, and if it were a light/shaver unit previously, it was installed in either zones 2 or 3?

Visit here if you're not sure:
http://www.stopbox.co.uk/site/bathroom-lights-ip.htm

Sponsored Links
Thanks thats helped me understand what the ip code means
Yes the previous shaver unit was in zone 2, the mirror will be in pretty much the same place. The mirror ive got should be fine

no worries mate
like I said, its seems fairly trivial but because this is a bathroom, I'd be extra cautious about the swap. like I previously stated, hold for a more able member of this forum, JohnD I think has fallen asleep on his armchair today, no waking him up, that or he is in a foul mood!!

G4's are 6/12 or 24v so it must be via a transformer as is SELV, as such they are okay within the zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back