I'm feeling a bit dim.... - help with dimmer derating needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Done a bit of search but just wanted to confirm what I think I found. Adam will probably know the answers!!

Tungsten filament - no need to de-rate. Is is OK to say use a 400W dimmer on a 100W single lamp? Would 250W be better?? If so, why (apart from cost)?

Mains halogen - need to derate by 50%. ie 400W dimmer would do 4x50W=200W

ELV/12V - need to use electronic transformers with a dimmer suitable for ELV (but I have also read somewhere an ordinary one will do?). Then add up the VA on the transformers plus 25%. So a 400W dimmer will do 6x50W = 300+75=375. OR, so you not have to de-rate as it is an ELV dimmer???

When I get this right, it would make a useful 'cut out and keep'....

yes, sad I know

Thanks

SB

Sponsored Links
Yes, 400W is OK, but no need, unless you want to future-proof it as much as you can. You can always buy a 1 kW dimmer!!!

Most dimmers have a minimum too, usually 60W.

Yes, GU10's, derate by 50%.

With SELV, you need to look at both the dimmer mfrs and tx mfrs. Some tx's have "can be dimmed with regular dimmer" on them. If not, use a dimmer designed specifically for SELV.

And read the small print of both tx & dimmer, in case there is a leading-edge/trailing-edge issue...

Thanks folks!

Ban - what's that in english? Annoyingly City and Guilds deleted lighting from the replacement 2360 course - so now I have to educate myself elsewhere...

Cheers

SB

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back