I'm looking for some help diagnosing an issue on my 2007 2.2 hdi Citroen relay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had some issues with getting black and grey smoke coming from the exhaust. I thought it might be the mass meter sensor but I diagnosed it isn't that. I thought it might be the egr, I removed and cleaned this and still getting the same issue. I did find that there is a substantial amount oil getting into the intercooler from the turbo so this suggests it is probably the turbo where the fault lies.

I was hoping someone could either a, tell me something else it could be or b, tell me how to actually remove the turbo as it is a total ballbag to access judging from what I have seen.

Any help or advice would be amazing

Sponsored Links
It would seem like the turbo is misbehaving - what is the van mileage, and is the oil level dropping on the dipstick?
John :)

The oil level hadn't previously been dropping much but when I cleaned the egr a lot of the oil got sucked up by the turbo i think. And yeah the van is on around 150,000 miles so topend of a brand new turbo life really. I don't know if it was changed before though

That’s a good run for a turbo if its the original one.
Any sign of oil in the exhaust pipe? There are seals on both ends of the turbo, as you know.
Awful thing to get at on this one....possibly easier to take the engine mounting off and hinge the motor forward a bit. Not a job without a ramp!

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought. I am going to have fun trying to get this done without a garage. Oh well. I haven't noticed any oil in the exhaust either.

Are you a mechanic? Out of interest what would you charge for labour on this job if someone came in with the part ready to go?

I’m not in the motor trade, just interested in all things mechanical!
I’d guess maybe 3 hours work but I’ve never replaced a turbo on a Relay....I’ve done two Berlingos but the turbo on these is at the front and easy enough to get to.
I don’t go for second hand turbos but rather new or rebuilt units - Turbotechnics I’ve used in the past.

Thanks very much for your help, at least I have a slight edge more knowledge of what to expect in a garage. And hopefully I won't get fleeced. It's a nightmare finding a mechanic i can trust

Back