I'm not in hot water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if you could help? just had a Worcester 28cd1 fitted (about 4 years old). When it was first fitted (3 days ago) everything was fine but as soon as the plumber left and I switched the heating off and tried to use the hot water on it's own. The burners ignited but water was only luke warm also the boiler started to make banging noises and the needle on the gauge is flicking as it's happening.
I called the plumber back who changed the pump and it doesn't make any noise now but the hot water will kick in sometimes but not others.
In fact the only time the hot water works 100% is when the heating is on?

I would appreciate any help, thank you :(

Sponsored Links
Am i correct in saying you have had a second hand boiler fitted ?

You also say a plumber !

Is your plumber corgi registered ?

I know where i live, including myself most, if not all, reg gas fitters would not fit second hand appliances.

Thats apart from, April 1st 2005 all replacment or new boilers where possible should be of the condensing type ! :eek:

WOW

you had a four year boiler fitted!!!!!!!!!

agree with CORGIIOW

why on earth did you do that its going to cost you the earth in bits

Some people think they can save money by having a second hand appliance fitted. They don't think about the consequences, whether it be the cost of putting it right, and is it really fitted safely.

Could i be rude, and ask how much you paid for this Worcester to be fitted, and did this chap charge you again for replacing the pump which still didnt correct the fault.

Do you see where im going with this :eek:

Sponsored Links
HI, Just to let you know. The boiler was mine from my previous address and had been in my garage over a year waiting to be fitted. It was fine before. The plumber is corgi registered and a friend. I asked him to fit it for me and he did.
He didn't charge me for the replacement pump or for fitting it. The total cost of fitting boiler was £425. Which included disconnecting the old back boiler, disconnecting multipoint boiler, new flu, new electronic timer and all parts.
Now if you know of a plumber that will do that cheaper please e-mail me their phone number. Also if anyone has any combi boilers that have had only three years working life and you are about to throw them in the skip I will be happy to collect them from you?
I suppose this is a daft question but now that I have answered your questions is there any suggestions for my original problem?

did you CORGI friend report the installation to CORGi, and did he fill a PART L exemption certificate?

there are some more laws we have to abide by now

and in answer to your question think it might be the diverter valve sticking

Our corgi guy moved a 10 year old cast iron boiler last week about 10 feet, he said it was way better than the rubbish they produce today and said it was criminal to dispose of it, he filled out his paperwork and all was well.

Its true they are

but getting the excemption to PART L can be hard, and without it well....

If your "plumber" is CORGi registered and this is his livelyhood then one would assume that he is competent to instal and repair boilers.

It therefore come as a surprise to me that your "plumber" is apparently unable to diagnose the fault!

Could it be that he does the work so cheaply because is is not much good? Pay peanuts....

Tony

Expertboy if moving an existing boiler no need for any exemption, part L applies to new or replacement, the guy gave good advice imo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back