I'm turning into Del Boy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bear in mind I live in Scotland, I'm Scottish and , although I enjoy watching OFAH as much as the next person, I ain't no superfan or anything.

Went to visit mum today, she lives in a high rise. I was faffing about trying to get in (new intercom system) when a guy inside saw me and pushed the button to open the door. I walked in. When passing him, instead of just saying something like 'thanks' I heard myself say:

Thank you my son!

Not in a religious way, in a sort of slightly loud confident way. I got in the lift and thought 'what the feck was that all about?'

Then when I got home, I wanted to test a handheld sprayer thing I'd bought today. I tested it, working fine. However, instead of maybe just saying something like 'good stuff' I heard myself say:

Lovely jubbly!

I didn't even do this for comic effect or for a general laugh after saying 'thank you my son' earlier, I just said it as if I say it every day! Anyway, that's my story of the day :)

Sponsored Links
Near me (North Manchester), people keep saying - "To be fair", I don't understand what it means.

Sponsored Links
Near me (North Manchester), people keep saying - "To be fair", I don't understand what it means.
I use that phrase to sort of mean 'in their defense' e.g.:

He ran past me without even saying hello, although to be fair he was running for a bus.

When you start hankering after a retro 3-wheeler Reliant the metamorphosis will be complete.

As it happens I've just got hold of some pukka sheepskin jackets. Proper stuff. You interested?

Last edited by a moderator:

I try to stop myself from saying these sort of phrases & sayings.

"To be Honest" when someone says that I say why wouldn't you be honest?

To be fair I'm not that bad.

Have you started saying "cushty", "give over" or "you utter plonker" yet? We had a Polish groundworker on one job who talked like that but with a Polish accent. I'm sure he used to wonder why we found him so amusing (the job was in deepest, darkest Yorkshire, or God's "eeh bah gum" country)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you my son!
I've been trying to imagine that phrase spoken in broad Weegie (and if you are not a Weegie, I apologise). I sometimes think it would have been fun for Dad's Army to have been set in Dudley. I wonder if "They dae liyke it up 'um, Captin Mannerin, they dae liyke it up 'um!" would have caught on

I've been trying to imagine that phrase spoken in broad Weegie (and if you are not a Weegie, I apologise). I sometimes think it would have been fun for Dad's Army to have been set in Dudley. I wonder if "They dae liyke it up 'um, Captin Mannerin, they dae liyke it up 'um!" would have caught on
I'm east coast (Fife) so not broad Weegie. It's difficult to explain but when I said it, it probably didn't sound particularly Scottish because of the way I said it, tone etc.

Sponsored Links
Back