Immersion Boiler help needed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I currently have an economy 7 immersion boiler that has an overnight heating element and a boost button for during the day. Since moving in 2 years ago it has never worked very well and the water has never been more than luke warm and the off peak switch doesn't seem to do anything at all. It is approximately 12 years old.

As a single person, I tend to leave it permanently switched off as my shower and washing machine are cold water fill and I can just wash up with my kettle. I find it really helps to keep electricity bills down!

I'm also in a middle floor flat so rarely require any heating even in deepest winter so all my storage heaters are disconnected and replaced with modern electric radiators. Due to all of this, about a year ago I switched my electricity meter from Economy 7 to a normal rate as I didn't see the point in paying Economy 7 day prices and not reaping the off peak benefits.

However, I am thinking about moving in the next 6 months or so and given the current market will probably rent my flat out rather than sell. As such, I would like to get the boiler sorted out so I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the reason the off peak switch doesn't work at all because I no longer have an economy 7 electricity meter?
2) What could the reason be for my boost switch only heating the water to luke warm?
3) Would a replacement tank be the answer to the problems and if so which type do I need to buy? Does an electrician or a plumber need to fit it?
4) Would a replacement heating element be the answer to the problems and if so is there a particular type I need to get and is it an electrician or a plumber I need?

As you will have probably guessed I'm a bit of a novice so any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance :).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back