Immersion / Cold Water Storage Tank to Power Shower in Bungalow

Put in a similar layout in my bathroom 30 years ago but with a Mira Event. Took the hot feed from the vent pipe near the bottom of the hot water cylinder on the assumption any air bubbles would float upwards before they got near the take off. Went up into the ceiling, about 2m across for 4 m and down 1m into the shower. Cold tank in the loft about 1.5m above the shower directly above it. Minimum required head was 80mm and necessary to make sure the pump actually primed. Only issues I have had is when I fill the bath and it empties the header tank and hot water pipework below ceiling level whence an air lock is formed in the pipework along the ceiling. I sort this out by putting shower hose on floor of shower, run shower and this clears air lock after a minute or so. Have replaced motor brushes once.

Sponsored Links
The main issue I found with pumped showers when running the feeds up and over the attic is drainback, especially if the pump is located in the attic. The pipework can sometime drain back into the pipework when other outlets are used or trickle back overnight.

The usual remedy for that is running in an anti gravity loop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back