Immersion element on unvented cylinder

19 Sep 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hello. I got a call to a immersion element on a cylinder. When I got there it was an unvented ariston cylinder with four pipes with lever stop valves on it. On the lower pipes there are two inline hose drains. There are also a couple of expansion vessels.
I am only used to changing gravity / unvented immersions.
Is changing this element beyond a mere electrician? I phoned one of my plumber mates who said he is not 'unvented' and to steer clear as there may be problems pressurising the system after emptying tank.
What would you advise is it too complicated a job ?
Sponsored Links
Technically mate your SUPPOSED to be G3 qualified to work on unvented.

New one on me that Ariston make vented cylinders if im honest.

I changed top and bottom elements last October on a direct unvented Ariston I installed in 2006.

It was like crowbarring the Titanic off the seabed
Some not all Unvented immersion heaters have different threads to standard ones think ariston are one of them, but to be honest strictly speaking you need to have G3 to do it, an unvented immerser Must have an over heat cut out as well as a thermostat
Sponsored Links
yes you should as you don't have the G3 cert & no aristons are not a standard size
It's funny, most people with unvented DON'T KNOW they've got unvented, and therefore don't get their cylinders serviced - disaster waiting to happen if you ask me :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local