Immersion element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wee problem concerning a hot water heating element. The element is not that old. I have tested for live at supply (confirmed) and resistance of element (20 ohms). When reset the integral thermostat on load has voltage but unfortunately not for long and cuts out.
Can I assume that there is a faulty thermostat, or should I be looking deeper.
Temp set at around 65 C.

Sponsored Links
was the element a cheap standard or a long-life one? cheaper and quicker to just replace the thermo as not wet work. if it's not the thermo, then yes a new element.

Not sure if cheap or not, (my sister/brother in-law's property) They would have paid for some one to fit it, I know it is not a year ago since the work, but I understand that 20 ohms would be about right for the element resistance, so by deduction my assumptions lead to the the thermostat.

The element resistance is about right.....there are different lengths of thermostat though, just as there are elements.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I presume that you are saying that the over temp safety stat is tripping.

You should turn the stat down to 60 C ( or even 55 C ) and that MIGHT just stop the problem.

The difficulty is that there is not much difference between the trip temp and the running temp!

Only the stat needs to be changed !

Tony

Yes the safety stat on the immersion heater is causing the problem, I have now replaced the stat only, set at 60 degrees. It seems that this problem is a reoccurring one, in which the brother in-law has had replace twice in the last couple of years.
But is there not a regulation on the minimum temp, that hot water should be stored?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back