Immersion heater cut out not working, 2nd time this year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the top floor of a flat with multiple cold water butts in the loft, one of the flats immersion safety cut out has failed again, sending hot water and steam up into the cold water butt (plastic).

My question is whether there is a fix that provides added security against a failing cut out sensor, it seems new elements have two sensors, is there a chance they have an old element?

Now I know the thing rattles and pops like it is about to explode when this happens, so most people hear it and turn it off, but the person in question spends lots of time away and I had to resort to pulling their main fuse.

Sponsored Links
Is this flat owned or let/rented?
You have done the right thing, by isolating the system.
And it also sound like the safety devices have failed, the owner or the responsible person for the flat must be contacted and they should ask a competent plumber to assess/repair the issue.

My concern is that a plumber will just replace the temp sensor, which will break again at some point (as this is what appears to have happened).

Are there multiple fail-safes/sensors that can be installed, or other fixes that will ensure this won't happen should a single sensor break?

I may sound like the annoying neighbour, but the tank is above my bedroom and I do not feel safe.

All immersion thermostats sold since 2004 have to incorporate a safety cutout, try to make sure your neighbour replaces any remaining stats with the new ones and you should be safe .

Sponsored Links
My concern is that a plumber will just replace the temp sensor, which will break again at some point (as this is what appears to have happened).

Are there multiple fail-safes/sensors that can be installed, or other fixes that will ensure this won't happen should a single sensor break?

I may sound like the annoying neighbour, but the tank is above my bedroom and I do not feel safe.

You would need to ask an electrician about the following: It may be possible to wire the immersion in series with a cylinder thermostat (possibly using a relay). As I said, ask an electrician.

You would need to ask an electrician about the following: It may be possible to wire the immersion in series with a cylinder thermostat (possibly using a relay). As I said, ask an electrician.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:........That's funny!!

why an electrician ?? are you a plumber halfway ?

why an electrician ?? are you a plumber halfway ?

My main reason for suggesting an electrician, is because I don't think there is a need for a tertiary cutout, but if the OP thinks it is needed then there is probably a need for a relay. That is what the OP asked and I was giving a reply that I hoped included due diligence. A sparks would be best to give professional advice on this.

Why the question?

Why the hell would you need a setup as you suggest?? There's already a HT cutout on new immersion heaters!!

Why the hell would you need a setup as you suggest?? There's already a HT cutout on new immersion heaters!!
My main reason for suggesting an electrician, is because I don't think there is a need for a tertiary cutout, but if the OP thinks it is needed then there is probably a need for a relay. That is what the OP asked and I was giving a reply that I hoped included due diligence. A sparks would be best to give professional advice on this.

Why the question?

good old puller has answered your question , WHY A RELAY ? cut out's have been available since 2004 / 03

Last edited:

Reread my answer, I am not suggesting that he does it, but answering his question.

Why the question?

good old puller has answered your question , WHY A RELAY ? cut out's have been available since 2004 / 03

Oi......not so much of the old, I'm only 87!!! I had a wet dream last night too!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back