Immersion heater element and stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Puzzled why your old-style immersion heater has a standard small thermostat with just two live only (in/out) terminals, whilst I now seem to often come across the much larger live & neutral (often double pole cut-out I believe) Cotherm type.

If I ask the supplier, you invariably get conflicting sales-pitch-speak.

Wonder what anyone with an unbiased opinion would say.

Looking to replace an 11" element in unvented cylinder.
Cotherm.jpg
BT7.jpg

Sponsored Links
The Cotherm device is an all in one item that is commonly found in unvented cylinders (MegaFlo, etc)

Its like that so its a single unit and easier for electrically unskilled people to connect up (eg plumbers). It connects to the tank element through spade connectors.
So its an easy, but expensive, swop. It gives Cotherm an excuse to charge £80+ any time the stat goes wrong.

Not sure about the "double pole" tag. There's two contacts inside: the stat and the over temperature trip. They are (I think) both in the live connection wiring.

Thanks ttc.
Looking at the Cotherm, it's shown (I think) by the dotted line through both poles. I'm guessing that that's the over temperature device.
Not sure if there's a regulation that states over temperature has to operate both poles.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back