immersion heater elements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was called out today to look at a factory with no hot water. It was a large cylinder tank with three immersion elements, top middle and bottom.

Top, stat OK, element was I think 2.00 ohms but i can't remember for sure, no short to earth. Can hear faint bubbling when on

Middle, stat OK, element had dead short to earth.

Bottom, stat badly overheated, no short to earth, shorted between both legs of element but no continuity on element, swapped out the stat for another and can hear faint buzzing from tank when switched on.

All were switched on when I arrived, OK so im sure the bottom two are burst but should the top one not still be working? Im guessing they have all failed one at a time and they have only noticed there was a problem when the last one failed.

Sponsored Links
Top, stat OK, element was I think 2.00 ohms but i can't remember for sure, no short to earth. Can hear faint bubbling when on
Well - 2Ω would mean 115A, so...

If it was 20Ω it might be alright.

Middle, stat OK, element had dead short to earth.
Dead then.
Bottom, stat badly overheated, no short to earth, shorted between both legs of element but no continuity on element,

All a bit contradictory.

Sponsored Links
Bottom, stat badly overheated, no short to earth, shorted between both legs of element but no continuity on element,
All a bit contradictory.
A bit? - is that related to 'slightly pregnant'? :)

Kind Regards, John.

Haha, well those are the readings I got. It doesn't matter anyway as I have slopey shouldered it onto the plumber. It was just the top element I wasn't sure about, thought it might have offered to heat the water up a little bit but there was no heat at all on the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back