Immersion heater from a wind turbine

there was some program on a while ago about engineering green.. or something..

anyway, the one I watched the 2 guys had to come up with a way of providing power to a little youth hostel in some remote area..

was gas generator but can't get the gas up there anymore because the road was now disused..

they came up with 2 ideas, 1 was a wind turbine ( didn't work, too unreliable ) the other was a stream coming from the hill

they ended up putting a small dam in to create a pool to get water from, and piping the water nearly a mile downhill through firemans hoses.. ( needed for the preassure.. )
at the end they added a nozel and had it pointing at a waterwheel connected to an alternator..
surprising thing was the waterwheel was only about 6 inches in diameter..
produced enough power to run the YHA and was a constant supply...

Sponsored Links
how about something the size of a shed that burns gas and provides heat and power?

generator with a heat exchanger fitted?

Sponsored Links
Couple of points:- 1. For 12/24V heating systems look at yacht/canal boat suppliers.
2. I looked into ground source for my own house and they did specify 3 phase. Turns out that the systems in use were originally designed for large installations and use 3 phase motors on the pumps. The installers only know how to fit the kit that they've got so that's what they ask for.
Cheers

so you get a 4-5Kw inverter.. no big deal..

ok, so GSHP's are 300-400 percent efficient..

you can get grants for "green" installations..
up to..
£400 for solar..
£1200 for GSHP's..
ther's a cap of £2500 per houshold but you can spread that over different technologies ( ie get GSHP and solar to heat your water.. )

http://www.bhl.co.uk/product.php?productid=6513 savings of aproximately £3000 on this one already, plus a grant for £1200 :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back