Immersion heater / plastic storage tank

yes indeed. Landlords should be compelled by law to verify that the homes they rent out are safe and fit for human habitation.
How would they do this. Get a national company in maybe, like one of the biggest like BG or DR ?

Sponsored Links
Only on a solid fuel system is there a requirement to fit a galvanised header tank (because SF cannot be fully controlled).
Bobs 100% correct about thermal cut outs being a requirement on all Immersion heaters since the terrible accident of a baby being scalded to death by one over heating quite a few years ago now.
The new leaking storage tank is probably due to poor initial workmanship than boiling water from a faulty immersion.
There was boiling water in the the cold water tank I dropped it from cold tank and the tank has collapsed . Can you give me the requirement in law about the immersion needing a cut out as I can use this against Dyno Rod that they should of done it when Plastic tank was upgraded ?

I am completely with everyone that it should of been done and if it is not a legal requirement and DR said we have changed the tank but we do not ahve to changed the thermostat by law but tod me the risk. I would of 100% spent £12 and changed it.

Anyone tell me if its a legal requirement as I have been told it is and it is not. If so please show me it in regs . I would be very greatfull ?

Sponsored Links
Yes I can see it here in the regulations but is this only for new installs. How would this fit in my situation. Should DYNO have LEGALLY changed the thermostat when they changed the tank. Yes or no will do please ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191009-221951_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20191009-221951_Drive.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 119
I dont think, sadly, there is a requirement in law to check and/or upgrade any immersion not fitted with the new type of Stat. I can understand why you would think using a large name company should get you good service, sadly that is not always the case. Particularly with the franchises, they have to pay a lot of money up front to use the name, so in order to make any money, costs have to be carefully managed, and it's not always guaranteed you'll get the best people.

I dont think, sadly, there is a requirement in law to check and/or upgrade any immersion not fitted with the new type of Stat. I can understand why you would think using a large name company should get you good service, sadly that is not always the case. Particularly with the franchises, they have to pay a lot of money up front to use the name, so in order to make any money, costs have to be carefully managed, and it's not always guaranteed you'll get the best people.

In that case .. I have paid them £38 a month for 5 years. They replaced a tank . Caused loads of damage . Cost me money. Left it unsafe. Which melted a tank. Now I cannot sue. And I need to purchase a new tank. Unbelievable .They get away scott free. I can honestly understand why people take matters into their own hands sometimes

I'm no legal eagle, but it would seem rational that you can sue for recuperating the losses incurred, the new ceiling, the lost earnings, the compensation you might have paid to the tenants. There doesn't have to have been a law broken to justify you taking it to court. You need to speak to a solicitor.

Nozzle

You are paying the monthly subscription to be part of their 'club', which theoretically entitles you to priority services if you need to call them out. Its doesn't guarantee any more unfortunately. As per Nozzle's post, if you were to get a second opinion from another Qualified engineer, who was happy to state any faults he/she found, then you'd have a good case to take the matter further.

I have to wonder when using some of these Drainage/Plumbing companies, quite who they'll send out. It may be someone knowledgeable about drains, who has a basic understanding of plumbing, rather than a C&G qualified Plumber, with a basic understanding of drains.

Got third part plumber out today. Was thermostat as already gathered.. But plumber got in loft. Tanks are ok. Reason hot water came through ceiling is the can't was not installed properly into new tanks. The new tanks was alot smaller so vent should of been extended . Which he has done and charged me. He completely disconnected the thermostat so it cannot get turned on by any current or future tenants. Only the boiler can heat water.

Ah, the plumbing jigsaw pieces now fit together diy (expansion pipe missing tank).
Regulations are not retrospective diy, hence, if it was legal when it was fitted it's still legal today (in spite of new different ones being more recently passed).

Ah, the plumbing jigsaw pieces now fit together diy (expansion pipe missing tank).
Regulations are not retrospective diy, hence, if it was legal when it was fitted it's still legal today (in spite of new different ones being more recently passed).

Yes that would go for the thermostat. But fitting a new tank without a adequate vent is poor installation. Resulting in damage and could of possibly been alot worse.

I'd gather the evidence of the poor quality job done by the previous people then and invite them to comment on it, given the damage caused etc. If not forthcoming with anything towards the cost of getting a third party in to finish the job properly, take the matter further. Personally would have had thermostat replaced for what it would have cost, but at least if disconnected, cannot be used without deliberate reconnection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back