Immersion heater problem (thermostat?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

It seems that my water heater has stoped working. Well, more specifically, when it turns on (via the timer) sparks come out of the immersion heater and it trips the fuse.

I was wondering then if it is a problem with the thermostat in the immersion heater. My water heater has two immersion heaters (one 14'' horizontal from Heatrae Sadia on the bottom and another horizontal on the top from Redrging).

Now I assume that the problem is with the bottom immersion heater (since sparks come out from there just before the fuse burns) and it could be the thermostat or some electrical problem.

Lets say that I change the thermostat. I saw a nice tutorial on how to do that, however, my immersion heater is horizontal and I was wondering do I need to drain the water tank before I attempt to remove the thermostat?

I dont want to flood the place

Please let me know.

Regards,

Sponsored Links
yes you will have to drain it, but not for a stat.

the stat sits within a "sleave"

i would be inclined to suggest its the element that has gone

Normally the thermostat slides out of a tube in the middle of the immersion heater. Sparks indicate a bad connection though, correct or otherwise. The heater is likely to be shorting between live and earth. If you need to remove it yes you will have to drain the tank.

So let me get this straight,

If I need to remove the thermostat I DONT need to drain but if I need to remove the whole immersive heater I NEED to drain.

Is that correct?

I do apologise for the persistence :LOL:
but I am a newbie in these things after all.

Regards,
Vaskunito

Sponsored Links
You are correct.

The regulations have recently changed, and the thermostat should be a non-self-resetting type. ie, if it trips you have to press a button before the power is applied. Sometimes the thermostat will not fit in the space allowed in the existing heater, and the heater needs replacing. If your heater is more than 5 years old, and is used every day, change it anyway, it has done well.

Have a look here The picture at the bottom shows you what you are looking at. You can remove the thermostat by disconnecting the wires (AFTER YOU'VE TURNED THE POWER OFF) and withdrawing it.

It is 99% probable that the element has gone though. They tend to corrode over time, water gets in and you get the result you are experiencing now. Oilman is quite right.

You'll need to buy/borrow an immersion heater spanner to get the heater out. It's a fairly straightforward job.

FIXED IT.

Actually it was that the brown wire from the thermostat had burned and it was touching the metal on which the earth was connected. In other words the earth and live from the thermostat where touching. How strange :)

Anyways, I shielded the brown wire with some electric resistant tape and it works. It is a temporary solution thought, and I should probably replace the white cable that comes from the timer to the water heater.

How do you call these thick white cables by the way? I know that they must be some kind of heat restistant right?

Thank you all for your help.
Vaskunito

You can get a high temperature PVC covered cable, but I would use an HOFR (HeatOilFireRetardent) cable.

These cables get hot at the connection on the heater, and should be made long enough for re-terminating. The cable and insulation degrades from the heat, and does not last for ever.

It is 99% probable that the element has gone though.

Oh yes, and the other 1% are due to the insulation of the cable breaking down.

Signed

Mr Wise After The Event.

It's always nice to find the problem. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back