Immersion Heater Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The story is:

Our immersion heater was spewing water out of the overflow, the plumber came and fixed it by putting in a new one way valve (I think something to do with ensuring that as there isn't a lot of pressure hot water would still come out when we needed it) and a shower mixer in the bathroom as you could hear the cold water running back through the pump (we have a pump as there would be no water pressure without it).

This solved the problem of the water spewing out as it was stopping the cold water pushing its way back into the tank.

Only problem is now the pump runs/turns over every 10seconds or so even though no taps are open. So we have it turned off unless we need lots of hot water. Not very convenient.

Any ideas what the problem is?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think you have the terminolgy right

this is an immersion heater
p2416811_l.jpg

this is a hot water cylinder
p1053465_l.jpg

this is a cold water cistern
p1758057_l.jpg

this is a shower pump
p2939241_l.jpg

where is the water coming out?

Water was coming out of the overflow from the cold water cystern. It was filling up as water was coming back into the hot water cylinder from the mains (via the shower thermostatic mixer), ie the wrong way. That has been fixed.

Now the pump keeps running, i have now been told that there is a switch in it which was probably broken by all the water flowing back up from the mains into the tank so that is why it keeps running, replace switch and it will stop.

Not sure my terminology is getting any better even with the pictures!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back