mains cold water and immersion heater - shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently planning to remove my existing bathroom with its elec shower and want to install a mixer shower with more pressure.

I have cold water direct from mains and hot water from an immersion heater (going to be upgraded to a duel immersion).

Now I have already found out that you cannot attach mains cold to a pump, can I put a pump on the hot supply and then attach both to the shower, or will i need a pressure equalising valve to make sure they match before they hit the shower?

Sponsored Links
It depends really on your mains pressure - if there's a small difference between mains and pumped hot then you can pump the hot only, if there's a large difference then you'll need to either fit a restrictor of pressure reducing valve to the cold (assuming the cold pressure is higher than the hot) or draw hot and cold off your loft tank and pump both sides

You have an immersion heater?

Then I'd guess you have an ordinary cylinder fed from a cold tank.

If you want a pumped power shower it would be usual to take the hot from the cylinder, and the cold from the cold tank. No pressure regulation required, but maybe pipe runs changed.

If the tank is small you may want a bigger one as power showers are quite greedy.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Its an all elec single immersion heater.

The cold has no tank it is straight out of the ground, through the meter and into the pipes lol

Sponsored Links
Its an all elec single immersion heater.
this is an immersion heater
p2416811_l.jpg

it fits in a hot cylinder like this
p1053465_l.jpg

which is fed from a cold tank.
p2654112_l.jpg
in the loft
or sometimes a small one on top of the cylinder

What have you got?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back