shower pump installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It looks like the best way to alleviate the problem of my hot water pressure at my manual mixer shower being very poor is to install a pump. (installing an electric shwoer fed by the main cold water is too much hassle in an already completed bathroom)

I understand its common to put pumps in the storage cylinder cupboard. My cupboard is upstairs and the cold water tank is in the loft, probably 1-1.5m or so above. will this head be sufficient?

Also, is it OK to just pump the hot water and rely on the cold water pressure from the mains. I have a pressure regulator fitted on the cold water supply near shower which has a range from 1.5-2.5 bar (from memory!)
Can you recommend and brands of pump to go for/stay away from?

There is already an electrical oulet in the cupboard for the immersion heater. Will it be simple to install a pump by having an electrician tap off from the immersion heater outlet?

your advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The vertical distance between the cold water tank (CWSC) and the hot water cylinder is unimportant, what you need to know is the vertical distance between your CWSC and your shower head. If your CWSC is that close to your cylinder, you'll probably need a negative head pump.

You can pump the hot only and rely on the cold mains to supply your cold, however I'd always advocate pumping both hot and cold as it guarantees the pressures are always equal. If you pump the hot only you need backflow protection on the cold to prevent hot water being pumped into your cold mains in the event that the cold is lower pressure than the hot.

Buy a Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal, keep away from pretty much everything else.

You can spur off your immersion for the pump, via a fused spur, but it's not technically correct. If there's a ring main close by that would be a better option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back