Two shower pumps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody.

I have a problem with my bath shower mixer. Under the basin is a pump which just does cold water for bath. In cupboard by hot water tanks there is another pump. Our plumber has said that having these two separate is why our shower will not adjust properly as one pump is cancelling out the other so it won't turn on. Does this sound right? He also said the electrics for the cold pump are dangerous because they are just wrapped in insulation tape under the basin and plugged into a socket in the bedroom next door. I know this is true because my flat mate couldn't use the shower one day as I was drying my hair with this plug. The solution he has offered is to fit a twin pump by the hot tank and run the cold water around the bedroom to the new pump and back. He says this has to be done that way bedause the floor are conrete and the cold water is coming from tanks on the roof of the block (we are in falts) in the opposite corner from the cupboard. The hot pipes already travel round the bedroom in a box.

The electrics can be connected to in the cupboard then and made safe. Does this all make sense?

Another plumber said that we should take out the hot water tank and have a combination boiler installed so that the hot water is from the high pressure mains pipe in the kitchen. But what about the cold from the roof? Also this is expensive so we were hoping to get another two or three years from the old boiler so that we can upgrade the whole flat later.

Thank you for your help I have learnt lots from this forum already.

Sponsored Links
The combi would be the best answer if money was no object, but if you are like most of us it is :rolleyes:

The first option sounds ok as long as the plumber is Part P registered and can sign off any electrical works, if not you will need a registered sparky.

I presume he is talking about a twin impellor pump. These are ok but cheap ones can be very noisy.

Thank you so much.

Does this 'cancelling' sound right to you? I hope so because we really need to get a bit more life from our old boiler. The plumber mentioned 1 bar positive Twin Stuart Turner Monsoon because our tank was a little small? He has an electrician he calls for this work. He does just water.

We are really looking forward to have a real shower after two years.

1 bar is pretty weak, but he obviously noticed the tank size for a reason.

If you really can't afford to change the boiler then perhaps a theromstic shower miuzxer would be a worthy investment that would carry over to the new boiler?

Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
If you really can't afford to change the boiler then perhaps a theromstic shower miuzxer would be a worthy investment that would carry over to the new boiler?

You've obviously had more booze tonight than me Craig, I mean Dan :LOL:

Wifey back ok :?:

Back and extremely jet lagged - still I sent her off with a knackered ipod for repair - and got a shiny new one in return. Nice!

Just had my first beer opened - still got sh1t loads of paper work to go, but typing is really painful at the moment.

Phecking customers! why do they need estimates!!!! :evil:

You've obviously had more booze tonight than me Craig, I mean Dan

Only on me fourth :eek: an I Know what your like with the Bacardi and Grolsch ;)

What do you drink Dan ?.

Bit of a devil lately, I've changed back to Stella. Its on offer locally :LOL:

Had a bit tonight though as some Sunday driver hooted me on a roundabout when I was coming home. I caught up with him about a mile later, blocked the road and got out and enlightened him on the error of his ways. I invited him to get out of his car but he just kept his window wound up :eek: ****** :eek:

Quite a queue had built up behind me when I eventually got back into my van. But then I had to put him right. One of my faults is I cannot back down when I think I am right, however big they are :evil:

My usual evening tipple starts with a couple of bottles of ice cold Calsberg Export, followed by a very stiff G&T (frozen Gin & lemon juice) mixed Half and half with normal tonic in a pint glass.

Depending on the time of evening I will either have two of those or a good stiff jolt of Sake or Red wine.

Because the beer gut is getting a bit too large now and the missus is moaning that she won't stop smoking until I stop drinking; I am in the process of cutting down - which means I am drinking gallons of Capri-Sun 'cos it's on offer in Sainsbury. :LOL:

I think that's just sour grapes 'cos she's T-total and I gave up smoking really easily. ;). :rolleyes:

My beer gut has got to the stage where I haven't seen my todger for the last 3 years, except in front of a mirror :LOL:

I have to get her indoors to check it is still there once in a while :eek:

I nearly had something similar happen in Harlesden with some little snot that tgought he was tony Montana - and about the same size too.

Seeing as I'm 6'7" and nearly 19 stone I did find it quite funny.

Another incident happened on the North Circular with someone trying to force me over a lane for no reason. I thought:

hmm? Clapped out Cavalier, of battered 3 tonne van. Who'll win? It ended up with us boradsiding each other and both speeding off before someone saw it on camera. :LOL:

My poor van?

BagdadFlyer100000milebirthday.jpg

That was a while ago now, February I think. You should have seen the sludge the Maganclean got out of that system in the first 5 minutes. :eek: :eek:

Got a pic somwhere....

Dan_Robinson said:
1 bar is pretty weak, but he obviously noticed the tank size for a reason.

Thanks dan, - we don't need a powerful shower, just one that doesnt freeze of scald us.

what do you think about the cancelling questions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back