Immersion Heater Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have previously posted about issues with my new hot water cylinder //www.diynot.com/forums/viewto...ghlight=&sid=112b33f89e8e1817532ceda479ca7dd3

Firstly the issues was that the safety cutout on the immersion kept tripping out every 4 days or so. Eventually found that if I set the stat to 45C this cured the problem. A quick check with a jam thermometer placed under the running hot water showed the temperature to be around 60C. Tried a couple of different stats but same problem so reverted back to the original Tesla model.

I then had the problem highlighted in the above topic.

Have been in touch with both Gledhill, the cylinder maker and Aqualisa the power shower maker but no real answer.

Think however that I may have found out the problem but haven't a clue as to how to resolve it. The immersion, which is a Tesla is on 24/7 but yesterday I ran my Aqualisa Quartz power shower and after about 3-4 minutes the indicator began flashing and gradually the water become cooler.

My theory therefore is that the immersion is not heating sufficient hot water in the cylinder as I would have expected to be able to run the power shower for more than 3-4 minutes especially as the heat setting on the control is set fairly low (the mark is about 10 degrees off centre to the right) (would have thought 15-20 minutes more practical).

One of the replies to my first post suggested I should get 4/5 of the cylinder heated but don't think this happening. Can't check this either because of the foam insualtion.

I appreciate that if the stat was set higher than in theory I should get more hot water in the cylinder but I then have the safety trip problem so can't win.

I am in a hard water area but I have a water softener.

Anyone got any clues as to what might be happening and a solution before I speak to my plumber again.

Sponsored Links
Get a stat without a reset?

And your not on economy 7 are you? Do you have 2 fuse boxes or a time switch by your electric meter.

Get a stat without a reset?

And your not on economy 7 are you? Do you have 2 fuse boxes or a time switch by your electric meter.

Not legal now must have o/h cut out, simplist answer may be to get a longer heavy duty immersion element like this :

http://www.loheat.co.uk/uk2shop-8.htm

27" one will do nicely !

Without seeing job if alls well probably best answer

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Previous post I referred to gave length of immersion as 27 inches which is the maximum length Gledhill state for the cylinder.

This is why I am confused as to why the level of water being heated doesn't seem right.

Immersion as stated on 24/7 so doesn't switch on/off with a time clock.

Any other suggestions??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back