Immersion heater/ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it Ok to run a small ring off the immersion heater circuit, just a couple of sockets, up to about 700 watts?

Sponsored Links
Is the immersion heater still in use? If yes, then you can't use it for anything extra.

If no then why not just add the extra sockets as a radial - subject to the correct fusing and cable size.

Thanks for the replies. The Immersion is in use so looks like I'll have to run the spur off double socket instead.

Sponsored Links
When my boiler was installed a couple of years back they took power from the immersion feed. When they installed it, they asked if I used the immersion much. When I said no, they then took it as OK to take the power feed from there.

Now that I'm doing some rewiring, is it frowned upon to leave it like that? Was going to put it on a B16 breaker.

I hardly use the immersion and gather the boiler draws very little current anyway.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

Some electricians belive that immersion heaters must be on thier own circuits but I have never seen any quote a reg that supports this.

From a loading point of view putting a central heating system (that isn't electrically heated) on the same 16A circuit as a 3KW immersion heater is fine.

because immersion heaters draw power for much longer than other loads the capacity they need should be dedicated to them. So if you have a 3KW immersion on a 16A circuit that only leaves you a few amps for anything else. Fine for a boiler or other low current fixed equipment but not good for general purpose sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back