Immersion Heater Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a new member and would like advice on the following please. I have a switch with neon indicator in my airing cupboard which switches the immersion heater on and off. An electrical feed comes into the back of the switch and a feed comes out of the bottom of the switch casing to the immersion heater. A fault has now developed. When I put the switch on the neon indicator light doesn't come on and no power flows to the immersion heater. If I lightly tap the switch with my finger the light comes on and power flows to the heater.

I turned the power off at the mains and unscrewed the switch from the wall to see if any wires were loose. As all wires seem secure, I decided to replace the switch. I have looked in a couple of DIY shops and seen similar switches without the side cut out and they have different ratings e.g. 20amp or 40 amp. What type of switch do I need and where would I obtain one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the immersion heater is on its own circuit, is a standard 3kw type and you are sure it is the switch at fault then you will need a 20amp double pole switch with a flexible cable outlet.It is up to you wether or not you would like a neon on it but it does help you see at a quick glance if it turned on.

Sarah

Sarah.

Thank you for your reply which is most helpful. It is a Redring P27, 3 KW. I will have to check tomorrow and see if the immersion is on it's own circuit. Should it be on it's own circuit and, if it isn't, would a switch with a different rating be required?

Thanks, girrock.

If it's not on its own circuit it should be connected via a fused connection unit rated at 13A.

High power appliances should really be on their own circuit, but at 13A the immersion heater isn't on for that long so providing it isn't connected via a plug and socket you don't need to change the config.

Davy

Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88

It's not a fused switch so hopefully it's on it's own circuit. I'll check this out tomorrow.

Thanks for your help which is much appreciated.

girrock.

p2034740_l.jpg

The MK K330-WHI Fuse Connection unit is ideal - just right at 13amps.

davy_owen_88 said:
the immersion heater isn't on for that long
Oh, i dont know. I'd say an hour at a time is quite a long time. Not that it really matters in this respect.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my query. I haven't done anything as of yet as at the moment everything appears to be working okay. I have learnt a lot from you experts and am going to wait and see if the fault reoccurs.

Thank you all.

girrock

how do you know its not just the neon playing up? its quite common

Breezer, I think he said that the neon didn't work and there was no power to the immersion heater. Sounds like the (cheap) switch contacts are pitted. New switch needed, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back