Immersion Heater Tripping out on Over Temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a new thread created as a breakaway discussion from the "Testing that the controller is live & working" over on the Electrics UK forumn.

That thread can be found at : https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ler-is-live-and-working.562216/#ixzz6kDBGF2jV

I'm currently having great fun with our immersion heater.

I'm having repeated problems with the over temp cutout operating 'early'.

I'm still in the process of debugging this & currently have a thermocouple in the tank (yes, actually in the water) which I'm logging every 30s. The logging software will also record the max & min temperatures seen during the logging period.

I have the thermostat set at 60 deg & that temperature agrees with the logging data. It would appear to have a hysteresis of around 5 deg.

But, and here is the puzzle, the over temp cut-out still operates randomly. My next step is to log the current pulled by the immersion so that I can get a precise collation between the temperature of the water & the thermostat operating. My current suspicion is that the over temp cutout is operating way before its quoted design of 85 deg.

A note about that particular thermostat ... the over temp cut-out can't be reset until the thermostat is COLD. I thought I'd found the problem when I found the over temp cutout tripped & it wouldn't reset (tank is also heated by the central heating). I removed the thermostat ready to replace with another & decided to have one more go before I threw it away ... it reset.

The thermostat has been replaced, twice, so it isn't just a bad 'stat (although it could be a batch problem).

Sponsored Links
To answer a question on the other forumn & for those that may want to do this, here is how I fitted the thermocouple into the hot water cylinder:

I've replaced the elbow on the hot water exit pipe from the top of the cylinder with a 22 x x 15 tee.

Into the 15mm end (which is now vertical) I've fitted a 15mm to 1/8" FBSP reducer.

Into this reducer is fitted a standard 3mm x 1/8" BSP thermouple compression fitting and into this is a 300mm long stainless steel thermocouple.

The sensing tip is set about 150mm down from the top of the dome of the cylinder, but still away from the immersion heater element.

Last edited:
I seem to recall an issue with your particular thermostat brand. Did you buy them from Screwfix by any chance ? I can't for the life of me remember if somebody told me ,or it was a bulletin for recall.

Sponsored Links
I seem to recall an issue with your particular thermostat brand. Did you buy them from Screwfix by any chance ? I can't for the life of me remember if somebody told me ,or it was a bulletin for recall.

Yes, as it happens, it is from Screwfix.

The heater is the Titanium 27" (75262) & the thermostat is the 89445.

Thanks for the tip... I'll do some research....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back