immersion heater, water too hot !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, my daughter has just moved into a rented house, it has no gas, for her hot water she has an electric immersion heater in the water cylinder, which is in the airing cupboard.

She says the water is too hot coming out of the taps, i looked all around the cylinder looking for a thermostat (like i have at home) but it hasnt got one, i take off the plastic cover on top of the immersion heater and all i can see are the terminals that connect it up to the electrical supply.

So, may i ask, where is the thermostat that will enable me to reduce the water temperature ?.

thanks in anticipation.

tim

Sponsored Links
Usually it is next to the terminals under the cover, It will have a short link wire in it, that is soldered to one of the main terminals and also have the brown flex in one side.

Photos? If its just heated electrically, the thermostat may well be within the immersion casing, in which case it will have an adjustment under the cap.

By the way, if the heater is just running and running, it could well boil the header tank, which, if plastic, could burst sending hot water through the house. This is a bad thing. People have died. Dont use the heater if you suspect it of overheating the water.

wow, thanks lads, yeah i do appreciate that a photo would be best, but i havent been trusted with a spare key yet LOL, and i wont be able to get another look at it until next weekend. i shall then have a closer look under the cover, thanks.

BLOODY HELL yeah, i have heard about these things getting hotter and hotter and bursting, i shall phone her straightaway, thanks.

tim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back