Immersion Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen there is an old switch for the water heater. Im assuming its for an old immersion heater. I have a relatively newish central heating system with a water tank in the airing cupboard. The switch still lights up if I flick it on. Could this be removed when I do up the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
a water tank in the airing cupboard

is it a cylinder?

what colour is it?

post some photos, showing the pipes and cables around it.

It is to be hoped that it is fitted with an immersion heater and your switch operates it. This will be useful so you have hot water on the (hopefully infrequent) occasions when your gas boiler is out of action.

This is one of the great advantages of a HW cylinder.

Energy from electricity is more expensive than enerergy from gas, so use the gas boiler to heat the HW in normal circumstances.

As above, You need to identify if it's still connected to anything then. An Immersion is handy as a backup if the boiler fails, if you still have the cylinder and immersion, I'd look at moving the switch/cabling rather than removing it.

An electrician may be able to remove the switch from it's current position, join the wires, and fit a new switch elsewhere, probably best sited in the airing cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Yeh Ill have a proper look. Wasnt sure if it was just an old switch or if its actually a working heater. If so Ill move switch and keep as a backup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back