immersion heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed an immersion heater 8 months ago (as a plumber I have fitted a considerable number) then all of a sudden the thing stops working. there is a reset button which clears the problem on the top but as it is so fiddly it is no real solution. I have tried swapping the thermostat (long thin one) but this also went off after two days. I suspect it is an electrical supply problem tripping it out but am at a loss to the answer (the supply is ok by the way on when it should be and off when not 230v ish)

Sponsored Links
The only reason this safety cut-out should trip is because the water in the cylinder is too hot. Other than poor electrical connections leading to excess heat, which you would have noticed, there is little else in a domestic environment (at least electrically) that could cause the fault.

Try turning down the temperature set point on the stat and see if that helps. Equally, if you have an alternative head source then you may also need to turn down your cylinder stat. If you have a less controllable heat source such as a solid fuel stove, this could well be the cause of your woes, as it's very easy for them to heat the cylinder water hotter than one might desire!

sounds like the cheapo's from bes or screwfix.
had a few do the same , won't use them no more.

the stat's are so out of range to the actual temp of the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back