Immersion in a ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Few years ago while extending the house, the house was rewired (not by me). The last week I decided to check the electrical configuration, what I found was that the immersion is connected to a ring circuit (socket outlets) protected by 32A MCB. I know that it is not recommended to connect the immersion to a RCD, I know as well that the regulations do not require a RCD protection for the ring circuits upstairs, but in the other hand I would like to protect the ring circuit with a RCBO. My question is whether connecting this circuit to a RCBO will cause a problem (the immersion). I can't separate the Immersion from this circuit unless I'll rewire it.
Albert

Sponsored Links
there is no real problem with putting an immersion on rcd its just as they get older they can cause neusence tripping

the reason a dedicated cuircuit is required for immersion heaters is that they are a constant heavy load

having said that provided you are not useing electric heater its probablly not a real problem having it on the ring (provided ofc it is properly protected by a fused spur)

GN 1 states immersion heaters SHOULD (not must) be supplied by a separate circuit. (They must not be on a plug though.)
I've got a very similar arrangement in my own home. Its not ideal and I wouldn't have wired it that way myself but as its only used as a back up to a Gas CH system is it worth the aggro from the wife to ripe the floors up?

As you rightly point out, Albert, you cannot have Rcd protection on sockets upstairs without also protecting the imm htr, unless you rewire. From a load POV, I wouldn't worry about excessive loads, as the upstairs ring generally takes much less than the ground floor.

If you want RCD-protection for the upstairs ring, then I would go ahead. If the immersion goes faulty, then it may trip the RCD, but at least you will have a good idea what is causing it.

Sponsored Links
thanks to you all,
Just a small correction, the immersion is part of the ring but connected to it via a fused spur, the MCB in the CU is 32A, So if I correctly understood I should not worry about it.
Albert

by the way: ofc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back