Immersion problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my immersion heater isn’t working, it works two ways our biomass system can heat the immersion tank when the biomass is running.

That part works fine

It’s when the biomass is not running and we are using the immersion element to heat the water. At best I get Luke warm water.

This problem started after we introduced solar divert into the tank to assist with running costs. System was solic200

Ever since then we can’t seem to get a reliable supply of hot water.

If there is no sun to heat the water you are supposed to press the boost button on the solic, this is supposed to switch it over to mains electric and heat up the tank.

Anyway starting to ramble lol

Took out the element for a look. I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN LOL but competent mechanicaly minded.

I have tested the element resistance, see images from what I can gather this would indicate the element is okay.

There are two small holes in the casing witch I imagine are for maybe reading the resistance in the thermostat part of the unit ???

There is a power supply going to the element but why am I not getting hot water.

I will get a professional to have a look I just wanted to know if this was the correct way to test this element and if it was okay

250v 3kw

https://i.imgur.com/jHN0Jiz.jpg

jrIgMV3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some immersion heaters (most modern ones) have an overheat thermostat as well as the normal, temperature adjusting, one. If the overheat trips, it has to be manually reset, usually via a small button, which is often recessed. The element would still read the correct resistance (usually around 18 ohm, which you appear to have) but no power would be supplied to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back