Immersion heater stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 35 yr old hot water tank. I want to replace the immersion element but can't get the old one out. I have a box spanner. I put lots of WD40 around the top first, then tried undoing it. No movement at all. I tried tapping it around with a hammer, and still nothing. Then tried hitting it a bit harder. I believe the top of the tank has started to deform as the insulation feels hollow on one side of the immersion, and the top of the immersion is leaning more than it was. Luckily no leaks when I turned the water back on.

So, how do I get the immersion element out without replacing the tank? Or will I have to replace the tank to replace the element?

Ant

Sponsored Links
U will probably need to heat it with a blow torch. This loosens it off and breaks up the original seal allowing it to turn. U may have to heat it up a lot before it budges. ie the brass will almost be glowing!!. Clear away the insulation around the immerser before heating it up or it will burn.....Sticky immersers area very common problem....about 1 in 4 need heating up before they can be freed.

Firstly try loosening it while its still full of water, if that don't work you can try heating it with a blow torch and if that don't work you can drill some holes through it and cut it out from the center out to the edge.

I often get troublesome ones out by tapping a notch into the brass with a hammer and chisel then using that to send the Immersion Heater round its thread.
Dont drain more than the top couple of inches of water off the cylinder as its weight acts as a ballast.
Heat it as suggested but beware. Sometimes the boss that holds the immersion heater may be soldered on

Sponsored Links
blow torch it till you here the thing pop.basically the seal will eventually give way.if not mickyg gave the only other solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back