Immersion tripping RCD

Hi Thanks again for the help.

Yes, cable changed for new one and also run off a nearby but on separate MCB ring main and same problem.

Insulation and resistance of the new heater seems OK, but only measured with a standard type multi meter.

Next step is to try disconnecting some neutrals as well as switching off the MCB to the other circuits to see what occurs. Well let you know!
Cheers Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi,only thought I'd switch off the MCB AND disconnect the neutral to each circuit in turn, to completely isolate it.

Is this correct?

Cheers Pete

Hi,only thought I'd switch off the MCB AND disconnect the neutral to each circuit in turn, to completely isolate it.
Yes, sorry. I misread the 'try disconnecting some neutrals as well as switching off the MCB to the other circuits'.

Sponsored Links
I managed to get a couple of hours today, so had another try.

I disconnected all the neutrals bar the immersion and switched off all MCBs bar the immersion. Guess what still the same! So I tried a new length of 2.5mm twin and earth laid down the hall. Yep still the same.

So a new immersion heater and new RCD are on order. Also a new switch, as in checking all the connections were tight I seared the head off one of the screws!

I figure now that the heater must be at fault.....we will see!

Cheers Pete

Hi Andy, yes I have tested with good but basic multi meter, no connection between the neutral and earth or live and earth. 19 ohms on the element, which I think is about right.

So with my basic tools it would seem OK and it is a brand new Tesla Titanium unit. Getting a new one as I really don’t know what else to try!

Cheers Pete

Hi, just to let you know that I fitted a replacement heater today. Exactly the same model as the first one. Yes it worked perfectly!

So the first new one must have been faulty, even through it tested OK with a basic multi meter.

So, thanks to everyone for their comments, the help was appreciated.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back