Improving insulation of fitted wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The master bedroom in my new home is chilly compared to other rooms, for various reasons. One might be that there are several fitted wardrobes which back on to (cold!) loft voids - these are even colder than the main room.

For that reason I want to improve the insulation of the wardrobes - even if it makes little difference to the temperature of the bedroom as a whole, at least it might stop clothes feeling so cold when they're taken out of the wardrobe!

The wardrobes are made from reasonably thin wood, with about 2" of loft insulation attached to the loft cavity side. I was wondering if the simplest way to improve the insulation would be to attach some insulating panels (polystyrene? PIR?) to the interior parts of the wardrobe that back on to the loft? And then cover these up with some MDF or something.

The wardrobes are nice a spacious so I don't mind sacrificing a small amount of space inside them to accomodate that.

Just looking for advice on whether that seems like a sensible idea, if there are possible issues I'm not aware of, or if there's a better way. Thanks!

Photos of the inside/loft side of the wardrobes are attached.

Sponsored Links
McKendrigo, good evening,

Can I suggest ?

Carefully remove the encapsulated glass wool set it to one side.

Fill the space between the timber verticals with a rigid insulation, thicker the better??

Is that a sloping area within the wardrobe?? following the roof pitch??

If so, suggest you try to slip some rigid insulation board up the slope[if indeed it exists??] but leave an air space between the top of the insulation and the underside of the material of the roof, felt or timber [what ever[

finally, re-fit the encapsulated glass wool,

No internal disruption ?

Ken.

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like a better idea, I'll try that.

However, one thing I forgot to mention is that the fitted wardrobes on one side of the room back on to a different loft cavity, which is much smaller and harder to access. It's a small crawl space compared to the walk-in loft space on the other side. I'm not sure I'd be able to get in behind those wardrobes to add insulation to their rear, adding it internally might be the only practical option.

That's why I was thinking about that approach, though I will use your suggestion for the accessible wardrobes.

Insulation does not make rooms warmer it prevents heat loss, your clothes will still be cool.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I understand what insulation does, thanks. My hope is that increasing the insulation at the fitted wardrobes results in less heat escaping from the bedroom/wardrobes and out into the loft.

If I go ahead and try this I can test it out on one section of wardrobe first to see if it helps - the fitted wardrobes are in 3 separate sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back