improving water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live at the end of the water main. The pressure in the house is too low to run more than one tap with any force. Ive had the water company out and they say the pressure in the road is not too bad and they have monitored the flow for a couple of weeks. I have a combi boiler and want to add another two bathrooms. Any suggestions on how to increase the pressure please?

Sponsored Links
not too bad

So how bad or good was their findings or were you spared the details.

Could you supply us with a few facts which you will be able to get by your self.

have you a two liter measuring jug and a time piece with a second hand on it?

If so you would be able to tell us the flow rate at the kitchen tap at certain times of the day. Thats how many seconds it takes to fill the jug.

A pressure reading would also help.

For some thing short of a teener you could probably pick up a guage that would couple up to the washing machine cold supply.

But firstly make sure the stop tap in the house and in the road are fully turned on

;)

Tim

Waterboard man said the pipe on our side of the meter could be scaled up. he also put in a request to change the meter to a larger bore, 32mm I think. Is that likely to help? The house is about 120 feet from the road on solid rock so the thought of laying a new pipe is a bit daunting. :(

Sponsored Links
Both taps are fully open. I'll do the measure with the jug though. I did also wonder what costitutes 'not too bad'.

If your static pressure is OK we would suggest you sort it with an accumulator.

Yours is a classic application if the static pressure is 1.5bar or above. We saved someone £2K the other day from digging up half of Surrey.

Your combi might be the next bottleneck when you try using two hot taps, but that is another story.

I have a combi boiler and want to add another two bathrooms.
THREE bathrooms off one combi? In most cases they'll only supply one. You need your situation investigating carefully by a competent plumber who can consider all the options not just one. Accumulators can be used in a proportion of cases but if you want a good shower, you won't get it with 1.5 bar regardless how enormous the accumulator is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back