Improving water pressure

D

dextrous

Since one cannot put a pump on the rising main to improve pressure, someone tell me about the pressurised water storage thingies which you install (in-line?). Can't really get my head around how they are meant to improve the pressure, or do they just improve the flow rate?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses - have never installed one. Friend of mine has combi but poor shower flow and wanted advice on how to boost the pressure/flow rate, hence my query. They had a new supply installed from the street, so this isn't the problem.

They were thinking of putting a pump in after the boiler, but I've clarified the position on doing this - i.e NO!!, ande were wondering what alternatives were available. Since they have cellars, an accumulator is feasible. I still can't get my head around how these improve pressure/flow rate since water out must equal water in, or am I missing something!!

they store pressure then release it as well as the main coming in

if the space is available you would be better off with a break tank and a booster set

it won't run out as long as the tank don't ;)

they store pressure then release it as well as the main coming in

if the space is available you would be better off with a break tank and a booster set

it won't run out as long as the tank don't ;)

Ok - will research. However, on the subject of the accumulator, this works by building up pressure to it's static level and this becomes the new dynamic pressure for as long as the water in the tank permits? Roughly correct or complete balderdash?

think of it as a tank

you fill it up and it stores the pressure

then on demand you draw the pressure off slow to boost what you have coming in if it drops

it dont make pressure it stores it till needed

note pressure not flow

Thanks kev.

Now, on the subject of break tank and booster set. This seems pretty self evident from what I can see - however (you knew it was coming :rolleyes: ), if this feeds all the taps in their house, including their combi which is tee'd off from the supply in the kitchen, the immediate question that springs to (my) mind is that I was under the impression that there had to be a tap connected directly to the mains. If this system (basically a CWSV and pump) is in place, then how do you arrange for the (kitchen tap) to be connected independently without running a new supply to it?

Or am I overfussing?

the kitchen tap by tradittion was always on the main

so it SHOULD be first on line
the booster set either uses the same tank which i doubt cos it wont be big enough

or you supply it with its own tank and it can be dedicated to the shower

but would have to include the combi

assuming it has the power to supply at the rate you ask

your opening a can of worms fella ;)

An accumulator is a big pressurised ball inside a steel container. The mains pressurizes the container to static pressure. When you draw-off water it is at roughly static pressure with a far higher flow. They work at a minimum of around 1.5 bar static pressure. They are simple to fit requiring only a check valve on the mains pipe and tee into the cold mains pipe. No electrics is involved,being fitted in about half an hour in some I have done. Many types have replaceable diaphragms.

Break tanks and pumps sets can be messy and pumps can fail quite frequently, as well as noise, compared to a simple accumulator. Break tanks and pump sets can be expensive as well if you want quality products.

With an accumulator you can take the washing machine, dishwasher, maybe some toilets and maybe the kitchen tap directly off the mains pipe by-passing the accumulator. Those outlets don't need high pressures. This improves performance and storage capacity if many taps are being used as the accumulator only supply's the DHW and bathroom cold supplies. It keeps cost down as a large accumulator is not needed.

I would check the pressures, static and dynamic as the mains pipe is new. It may be just a lousy shower mixer set. Check the maintap as well. If the pressure is poor then it usually comes down to the price of the accumulator or pumps set/tank.

Thanks for the info George. They want to avoid adding new pipe runs for individual outlets that you describe. I think their best bet is to upgrade the mixer valve on the shower as they tell me the bath flow is fine, so as you suggest, the problem probably lies there.

Without any measurements, dextrous, your advice isn't going to be worth anything.

I suggest you measure the incoming static, with this info you may find that an accumulator will fix all the issues.

It will also render the new water main a waste of money, so lets hope you didn't suggest that to your friends originally. :eek:

I would like to be the second person that thinks G Bramwell may be the latest user name of the person AKA Big Burner, Water Systems, Dr Drivel. It's too early to be certain, time will tell. Some of the phrases are similar, I won't bet my hat on it just yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back