In line two way switching for lamp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for a way to add two switches to a lamps cord with inline torpedo switches to allow it to be turned on from two places, however I cant seem to find one gang, two way in-line switches.
Attached a diagram of planned wiring as i know this will be the first question

Two way switch.png

Is there a reason these don't exist or am i just not looking hard enough?

Kind regards.

Sponsored Links
I suspect it's just a matter of it being too niche a requirement for manufacturers to bother making it.

If I had to make such a thing I would probablly turn to an electronics supplier (farnell, RS, rapid,CPC etc) and get a panel mount switch, a suitable project box, and something to retain the cables.

And this is where the old "small" MK switches would be useful mounted on a pattress box

would these do

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Similar to above - there just isn't a commercial need for such items!
Most lamps have a conveniently situated switch, or might be connected to a lighting socket and have standard 2-way switches to control them (think hotels).
Smart bulbs are also an alternative.

However, if you do want to have a go, something like this may be a starting point! :)

And this is where the old "small" MK switches would be useful mounted on a pattress box

would these do
Those are "on-off-on", so they would work but you would have to remember not to leave them in the center position.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back