Use a one-way switch for two way circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bedside lamp with an "in line cord switch".
Which is essentially a Single Pole, Single Throw - One Way Switch.

I would like to add an additional "in line cord switch" for the other side of the room.

I have seen the circuit diagrams for for Two-Way Switches, but obviously these don't apply.

Am I able to to do something with a one way switch?

AFAIK they don't do two-way in line cord switches.....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You won't be able to achieve the same functionality as a two way switching with any configuration running 1-way switches, i.e. both can turn the light on or off in any scenario.

The best you could do is have them in series, leaving the one near the bedside (call it S1) on and the one the other side of the room (S2) off, such that when you come into the room you can switch S2 on, and the light will turn on, then when you are in bed you can switch S1 off and the light will go out. However you would have to remember to switch S1 on and S2 off before leaving the room, so that when you come in next time you can simple switch S2 on to turn the light back on.

Obviously if you forget to 'reset' to S2 off and S1 on, S2 will be ineffective as S1 being off will mean the circuit is broken, no matter the position of S2.

Having them in parallel would be even less useful, and more hassle to implement, as of course all the time one switch is on the light will remain on regardless of the other switches position, therefore you would have to turn one off, then the other on to make it the 'active' switch.

Another option is one of these - http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9686462/reviews.htm You could leave the inline switch turned on all the time, and use the remote control as the sole means of turning the lamp on and off, that way you can leave it at the entrance to the room, then carry it to the bedside table to switch it off. Although it does mean remembering to take the control with you when you leave the room

I would like to add an additional "in line cord switch" for the other side of the room.
Why is the flex for the bedside lamp trailing across to the other side of the room?

Best solution would be 3A or 5A BS546 socket(s) on the lighting circuit, and normal 2-way wall switches.

Sponsored Links
To be honest I simplified it for explaining.

It's for a lamp which will be mounted on the wall for a childrens bunk bed.

It'll be on the top bunk, and can be switched on and off from the top bunk, and also when they get down to ground level.

Otherwise they have to turn the lamp on in the morning, clamber down, turn the main light on, then clamber back up to turn the lamp off.... which isn't going to happen! :eek:

What about a pull cord from a ceiling switch to the floor. Secure the bottom end to the floor so the cord is not loose as it could be a hazard it it got wrapped round a child's neck.

You could run some surface plastic trunking to carry the required length of triple cable and instal surface mounted 2-way switches, one in lieu of the existing 1-way and the other wherever you need it. Not pretty but functional

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back