Can I use a 2-way switch on an 1-way circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My pull cord switch in the bathroom is starting to stick etc. and I'm going to replace it before it breaks.

There is a nice brushed steel switch going for half price locally, but it's a 2-way. Can I simply wire it in my 1-way lighting circuit, ignoring the L2?

There were no 1-way pull-cord options at all on sale in the store, which set me thinking that maybe this is normal to do. Apologies in advance if this is a stupid noob question!

Cheers

J

Sponsored Links
Of course you can.

You'll have two wires. Red and black or brown and blue.

The red/brown will go in the C terminal
The black/blue can go in either the L1 or L2 terminals.

Do terminate the earth in the terminal provided. Job done.

Just use Common and L1 - live and switch live.
If it is metal switch though make sure you have an cpc (earth)

Three @ 3.19pm not bad service :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Thanks all! Yes, pretty darn swift responsage there!

I thought it'd be a dumb question, but better safe than sorry! (and its only a dumb q if you know the answer!) ;)

Thanks again.

Oh, btw, I'm making the most of Focus DIY closing down - now 50% off all electrical supplies. I generally don't like Focus and am not surprised they're going to the wall to be honest, and it takes 50% off to get me through the door its so expensive! Anyone else think the same of them? Much of the stuff in the shop is still only 20% off, and has been at that since before the closure sale. (40% off plumbing too).

Oh, btw, I'm making the most of Focus DIY closing down - now 50% off all electrical supplies. I generally don't like Focus and am not surprised they're going to the wall to be honest, and it takes 50% off to get me through the door its so expensive! Anyone else think the same of them? Much of the stuff in the shop is still only 20% off, and has been at that since before the closure sale. (40% off plumbing too).

Yep, picked up a shed load of plumbing material the other day at 50% off.

Was in there tonite.... it has been announced this afternoon that the chain will close on Wed 23rd June (so I was informed by the checkout assistant)

It reminds me of when Woolies closed their doors - you could buy MK Safetyplugs for twenty pence each (still in plastic packaging), and MK Double switched Sockets (Logicplus) for a pound each! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back