2 way pull cord switch on 1 way circuit - multiple pulls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I've just been reading the following post which says that it's no problem to use a 2 way pull cord switch on a 1 way circuit:-
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/can-i-use-a-2-way-switch-on-an-1-way-circuit.278152/

I've installed a replacement switch, which was only sold as a 2 way version. The instructions say that a 2 way can be used as a 1 way.

However, when I pull the cord, it requires 2-3 pulls before the light comes on! It works, but it's a bit retarded. It always goes off with the first pull.

Is the switch going On L1, OFF, On L2, OFF, then back to L1 again to create this situation?
I would have thought the connection simply goes back and forth.

NB - Without drawing to assumptions, I also changed the ceiling rose for a triple spotlight fitting. Switch wire identified, only connected to L on the fitting. All 4 other red lives grouped together in terminal block, same with the Neutrals, and Earths. Then twin and earth used to connect from the fitting to each group of Earths and Neutrals, with only the Switched Live connected to L. Essentially, same as in this video:-

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
What you have is almost certainly a sequential 2 way switch, gives the option of choosing which of two lights is lit.

Either change it or put a link between L1 and L2

Mr Green, thank you so much for your swift reply.
Does this mean that the switch does appear to have a "central OFF" position in-between, instead of going back and forth L1 to L2?

Presumably, if it were going back and forth, then bridging the L1/L2 would mean the light being on all the time.

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy, SelcoBW
It's a nice chrome BG 802CH model. £4.89 + VAT

Presumably, if it were going back and forth, then bridging the L1/L2 would mean the light being on all the time.
If it's the type that Bernard has mentioned, once L1 & L2 are linked it'll go 'off' - L1(&L2) - 'off' - L2(&L1) - off and so on.

I don't know whether those sequential 2-way switches exist, I was probably assuming (like Bernard maybe) that it was like those fan / light fittings with a pull cord that gives a choice between either fan / light or both.

Why doesn't this forum have a "dumb" sticker?

There were ( and may still be ) ceiling pull cord switches used for units that combined light and radient heat

OFF
L1 ( light )
L1 & L2 ( light and heat )
L2 ( heat )

and as Steve has mentioned light and fan could use the same 4 state 2 pole switch

Tend to agree, either faulty or distorted base plate when screwed too tight can cause this problem.

Possibly screwed too tightly, although it looked to be in normal shape, the screws were tough to get into the joist after drilling a 2mm pilot hole, and there is some artex on the ceiling.

In the meantime, I've written to BG Technical dept for their comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back