2 way bathroom switch`s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

bathroom fitter removed one of the pull cords before he left and now i need to reinstate the switch`s .

both switch`s had neon indicators so i assume there is a neutral in the circuit. ?

posted a couple of pics , for you .

basically each switch in either bathroom could turn the inline duct fan which they both share on or off.

the circuit is switched off by the spur switch in the loft.

i have two new 2 way pull cords without the illuminated neon.

Sponsored Links
You need double pole switches, one pole does the light and one pole does the fan. There need not be a neutral at the switch, but there might be. The neon would not operate as both poles of the switch will be switching live.

The wiring is shown here

View media item 23309
The 3 cables you have at the switch are probably:

1. live and neutral
2. switched live and neutral to the light
3. switched live and neutral to the fan.

Ow, i think the switches are only controlling the fan if i`ve read it right

Sponsored Links
hi John is the pic of the switch that is wired up as it was before? i.e. untouched by anyone original connections and was working?
hom many cables are coming into this switch cant really tell if its a three core (red yell blue) and a two core (red black) cheers

hi John is the pic of the switch that is wired up as it was before? i.e. untouched by anyone original connections and was working?
hom many cables are coming into this switch cant really tell if its a three core (red yell blue) and a two core (red black) cheers

i think so yes

so how many cables John

sorry for late reply

there are two cable into the pull cord , 3 core red yellow blue and a 2 core with the neutral cut off so only the live being used

i think that is where the power comes in and the other end of the 3 core is where the neutral is coming from the switched spur.

hi John, what is in the connector block with the blue cable? is it one of the wires going to the neon lamp / indicator, also is there red tape or oversleeving on that blue cable?

i think the safest way to deal with this is to open up the spur and see what is coming out of there instead of guessing .

i think the live is supplied via the 2 core and the neutral and switching circuit is via the 3 core.

until i open up the spur this is all guessing.

as the new sswitches do not have the neon indicators i guess no neutral is needed for the pull cords.

probably right John i`m guessing there may be a junction box, if you could trace out what cables go where i`m sure i / someone on here will tell you how to do it. need to know where the 2nd 3 core & earth comes from, guessing the 1st one comes from the other switch

lol late reply

switch spur supplies just the live feed which goes to com then the blue wire is connected to this via the neon light .

so i put the 2 blue com wires on the other pull cord and just matched the yellow and red on l1 and l2

trips the fuse out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back