Bathroom switch for Manrose in-line fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a Manrose in-line fan and am stumped. The version I am fitting is with timer and I don't want to use the current bathroom light switch to operate it.
I appreciate that I also need to fit an isolator which I will place adjacent to it in the loft. I can obviously fit another pull switch in the bathroom but that will not indicate whether the fan is ON or running on the timer.
I could put a 45A shower switch with neon instead and just use it as a to switch the live, and provide neutral and not switch it, but. Will the neon light without a load on the other neutral or will it illuminate just because the switch is ON.
I'd rather not do it that way, so are there any alternatives please.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate that I also need to fit an isolator which I will place adjacent to it in the loft.
There is actually no electrical or regulatory requirement for such an isolator, although the manufacturer amy well say that you should have one.
I can obviously fit another pull switch in the bathroom but that will not indicate whether the fan is ON or running on the timer. I could put a 45A shower switch with neon instead and just use it as a to switch the live, and provide neutral and not switch it, but. Will the neon light without a load on the other neutral or will it illuminate just because the switch is ON. I'd rather not do it that way, so are there any alternatives please.
Provided it is not within the prescribed bathroom 'zones' it is permissible to use an 'ordinary switch' (which could be one with a neon) in a bathroom, provided only that the switch is said to be suitable for use in a (potentially steamy) bathroom environment. Would that help you?

Kind Regards, John

There are pull switches with an 'on' indicator, and

20A switches with neon, that will be clunky enough, let alone a 45A one.

Caveman,
Please take lead from John and EFL and your electrition on regulations and what is allowed and if below is allowed and how should be fitted (I am not sure if needs and isolation switch or a FCU).

Looking at your question which I see as being "How do I fit Manrose in-line fan timer when you don't want to use the current bathroom light switch to operate it, but you do want the timer to work".
I would Connect the Live, Neutral and Earth to the Fan. Then I would take the Live from the fan through a 'pull switch' and to the Timer connection in the fan.

Then the fan is permanently live, but off. When you have a shower, you pull the Pull Switch which will turn on the fan (via its timer connection). When you leave shower you pull the Pull Switch turning off the fan (via its timer connection), and the fan will continue to operate until the fans timer completes its countdown and automatically turns the fan off.

Is this the operation that you are after?
SFK

Sponsored Links
Caveman,
Please take lead from John and EFL and your electrition on regulations and what is allowed and if below is allowed and how should be fitted (I am not sure if needs and isolation switch or a FCU).

Looking at your question which I see as being "How do I fit Manrose in-line fan timer when you don't want to use the current bathroom light switch to operate it, but you do want the timer to work".
I would Connect the Live, Neutral and Earth to the Fan. Then I would take the Live from the fan through a 'pull switch' and to the Timer connection in the fan.

Then the fan is permanently live, but off. When you have a shower, you pull the Pull Switch which will turn on the fan (via its timer connection). When you leave shower you pull the Pull Switch turning off the fan (via its timer connection), and the fan will continue to operate until the fans timer completes its countdown and automatically turns the fan off.

Is this the operation that you are after?
SFK

That is exactly what I'm after but an ordinary light switch does not indicate whether it is on or off. If a number of people touched the pull switch for instance, the fan could be either off or in timer mode and without waiting say 15 minutes you could leave the house with the fan running for an eternity. A visual indicator ie. a neon would tell you the switches staus.
The switch has to be in the bathroom or I'd fit one outside where the switches status would be more obvious with a conventional wall switch.

A visual indicator ie. a neon would tell you the switches staus. The switch has to be in the bathroom or I'd fit one outside where the switches status would be more obvious with a conventional wall switch.
As I said, you can use a 'conventional' switch with a neon in the bathroom, but that would have to be wired appropriately (with both L&N going to the switch). A double pole switch with neon would do, something like click here ....
MKK5423.JPG

... or ...
click here ...
BG931.JPG

Kind Regards, John

EFL,
I understand that he means that because of the timer, if he used an unmarked 'pull switch' and pulled it some random number of times, the fan will then operate, because either 1) the switch is on, or 2) the switch is off but the timer is on. So there is a 50% chance that you will now leave the switch on and the fan on until you next return to the bathroom.

So I think he needs a pull switch with a marker, perhaps one of these?:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....TRS0&_nkw=Ceiling+Switch+Marker+Fan&_sacat=0

sfk

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Not so.

Are you misunderstanding how it would work?

I believe not.
Because I don't want the fan working from the existing light, so as not to disturb family in middle of night when visiting bathroom. I'd fit an independent switch.
Via an isolator switch I will supply the fan with L,N &E for the timer facility. I will supply the switch with a live which will switch to supply the fan to turn on. I will sset the fan to continue for say 15 minutes after I turn the switch off.
From that moment on the fan will be audible but no-one will know whether it is on because the switch is turned on or because it is in it's 15 minute overrun mode.

Because I don't want the fan working from the existing light, so as not to disturb family in middle of night
have you installed the fan yet, and discovered how noisy it isn't?

Via an isolator switch I will supply the fan with L,N &E for the timer facility. I will supply the switch with a live which will switch to supply the fan to turn on. I will sset the fan to continue for say 15 minutes after I turn the switch off.
From that moment on the fan will be audible but no-one will know whether it is on because the switch is turned on or because it is in it's 15 minute overrun mode.
That's what I thought.

Yes they will; when the switch is 'off' and the fan is running on timer, the neon will be 'off' - not lit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back