Wiring a Manrose in line extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd appreciate any advice on the final part of my first rime bathroom refurb - I've done OK with the water side so now it's onto the electrics. I've bought a Manrose MF100T, an in line fan with a timer, and I want to install it in the loft so that it can be turned on and off from a pull cord, using a feed from the light switch in the ceiling.

Am I right to think I need to wire from the light switch to the pull cord (would this one be OK? http://www.screwfix.com/p/marbo-45a...n/39309#product_additional_details_container) and then to an isolator switch (again, is this one OK? http://www.screwfix.com/p/marbo-10a-3-pole-fan-isolator-switch-white/26547) and then to the fan. From what I understand I will need 3-core and earth cable (1.5mm) with L, switched L, N and E.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Cheers

Jamie

Sponsored Links
The MF100T is a timer fan, yes?

If so, the fan usually is operated automatically when the light is switched on and goes off several minutes after the light is switched off. Is that how you want your fan to operate? Please explain/

Normally you would only have a 3-pole switch in the circuit to isolate the fan for maintenance. Normally, an isolating switch can go in the loft near the fan.

That 45A pull cord switch is not necessary and, in any case, is designed for isolating power showers it is way way too big for a lighting/fan circuit!

Hi, yes, it's a timer fan and although I want it to come on with the light and then remain on for a while after I'd also like the facility to turn it off completely so that it doesn't come on when, for example, I go for a pee in the middle of the night!

If I got a more appropriate pull cord do I still need the isolating switch in the loft?

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated

Hi, yes, it's a timer fan and although I want it to come on with the light and then remain on for a while after I'd also like the facility to turn it off completely so that it doesn't come on when, for example, I go for a pee in the middle of the night!
That could be done, but could get a little complicated, and would require at least two switches. It might even be worth considering installing a second light (not connected to the fan) specifically to use for middle-of-the-night peeing!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Presumably have the fan so it activates when the light is turned on, and have a 3 pole in a convenient place so you can turn it off just before you go to bed.

Problem of course trying to remember to turn it on or off everytime time.

Would also recommend having a 3 pole isolator in the loft nect to the in-line fan. The switch is for maintenance, so it would be convenient to have it next to fan, and so there's no risk of anyone else turning it back on.

In that case, the simple answer would be to just have a 3-pole isolating switch in the bathroom. It is then used to stop the fan whirring at sleepy time and also for maintenance.
Otherwise wiring is the same as any other timer fan. No ather switch needed.

In that case, the simple answer would be to just have a 3-pole isolating switch in the bathroom. It is then used to stop the fan whirring at sleepy time and also for maintenance.
But that would require finding (and remembering to find) that isolator before one switched the light on (hence possibly/probably in the dark), and finding (and remembering to find) the same isolator to switch it back on after one had turned the light off (again, possibly/probably in the dark) if one wanted to restore light-triggered functionality.

Given all that necessary remembering and fumbling in the dark, it might be better to have the fan triggered manually (when actually required) by a momentary pull-switch.

Kind Regards, John

Hi all

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated. I think I'll go just for the 3 pole isolator pull cord approach, with the cord near the light switch, and hope that I/the wife can remember to turn it on/off when we get up in the night!

This is a great forum, cheers again

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated. I think I'll go just for the 3 pole isolator pull cord approach, with the cord near the light switch, and hope that I/the wife can remember to turn it on/off when we get up in the night!
Fair enough, but if you want to avoid the fan coming on briefly at night, try to remember to turn the isolator off (if you can find it in the dark) before you turn the light on!

Kind Regards, John

Given that the desire voiced in this thread (to avoid a light-triggered fan coming on when a bathroom is used briefly at night) is quite a common one, it rather surprises me that no-one has produced a fan which has an 'on delay' (as well as the as the 'run-on', if it's a 'timer' fan). That would be very easy to implement electronically, and could mean that did fan did not come on until the light has been on continuously for a certain period (2mins, 5mins or whatever - probably adjustable).

Kind Regards, John

it rather surprises me that no-one has produced a fan which has an 'on delay' (as well as the as the 'run-on', if it's a 'timer' fan).
Already available in some fans, and as a stand-alone control
http://www.vent-axia.com/product/remote-delay-timer.html :D
Thanks. I knew that standalone controllers (like the one linked) were available, but have never seen any domestic fans with that functionality built in. I'm sure that, for domestic use, most people would prefer that functionality to be built into the fan (which, as I said, would be very simply to implement, as a fairly minor variant of standard timer modules), rather than as a separate standalone control - so maybe we'll start seeing that becoming far more common?

Kind Regards, John

There are some around. .... There are other too. Most have a fixed start up timer of 2 minutes. ... Look for "quick visit" feature!
Thanks again. I'm obviously not the first person to have thought of it, then! However, I certainly hadn't previously come across, or heard of, any fans which had such a feature built in - which I presume means that the functionality has not yet got into the commonly-used/'mainstream' makes/models.

Maybe we should keep this in mind for the next time we get a question relating to unwanted activation of a fan during nocturnal "quick visits"? OPs often end up using manual control of the fan to address this issue, but that's clearly not ideal, and an on-delay fan might well be an option they would be prepared to consider.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back