wiring a neon on pull switch for bathroom ceiling fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an inline ceiling mounted fan, (with timer), in the bathroom which is operated by a 1 way pull switch. The fan is supplied via a fused spur box connected to the 5amp lighting circuit. The fan has 3 terminals, L, N & LS, (switch).

The pull switch has a live feed wire to one side and a feed from the other side to the LS terminal on the fan. It all works ok, except that it's easy to forget whether the switch has already been pulled once to "power off" the fan as it runs off in accordance with the fan timer setting.

To remedy this I changed the base of the switch for one with a built in neon light to tell me that the switch is on or off. This one here.

My problem is that the neon has two thin wires attached to it and where to connect them.

The notice that came with the base states "the neon in this product may be wired either as a Mains Status Indicator or as a Switch Locator. When intended as a mains indicator the leads of the neon must be connected to Load & Neutral."

I think that I can connect one of the neon wires to switch feed on the pull switch and the other via a connector block and wire back to the neutral terminal on the fan.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back