Pull switch with neon for switched live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I installed a loft extractor fan and the switched live was on a SPST pull switch so the timer worked. The trouble was that we couldn't tell if the fan was on, or off and running on the timer.
I bought a pull switch with a neon indicator, and this is DPDT. I can wire it up so it works as a switch, but the neon indicator does not light up. I want it to light up when the fan is on. I have tried all sorts of combinations, but I suspect it won't ever work as I need the neutral.
Is there a way to make this work on the switched live cable only?

Sponsored Links
I bought a pull switch with a neon indicator, and this is DPDT.
Are you sure? As I often observe, sometimes to my annoyance, DPDT electrical accessories do not seem to exist. Are you sure it's not just DP on/off (DPST)?
I can wire it up so it works as a switch, but the neon indicator does not light up. I want it to light up when the fan is on. I have tried all sorts of combinations, but I suspect it won't ever work as I need the neutral. Is there a way to make this work on the switched live cable only?
As you've been told, the short/simple answer is 'no'. However, it's possible that you may be able to get it to work 'back-to-front' - i.e. such that the neon is on when the switch is off, and vice versa - would that be any use to you, or would it be too confusing?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Considering the fan is a timer model and the switched input would be high impedance I doubt a neon would work. I nearly suggested it.

Considering the fan is a timer model and the switched input would be high impedance I doubt a neon would work. I nearly suggested it.
Yes, I thought of that and that's why I only suggested that it was 'possible' that it would work. I actually suspect that it might (work) - tiny amounts of current are enough to light neons (neon screwdrivers usually work, without our usually feeling any current) - the series resistor on the trigger input of a timer fan is usually between 150kΩ and 300kΩ, appreciably less than that in a neon screwdriver (and probably illuminated switch).

Kind Regards, John

Hi and thanks for the replies. Im not sure I understood them all as you guys seem more technical, and Im a DIYer, but I managed to work it out in the end. Excuse the lack of technical terminology.

I wired the switched live to one of the poled switches, and I wired the permanent neutral downstream of the other poled switch. It all works as I wanted, i.e. neon on when the fan is on, and off when off and/ or running on timer.

Hi and thanks for the replies. Im not sure I understood them all as you guys seem more technical, and Im a DIYer, but I managed to work it out in the end. Excuse the lack of technical terminology.
You're welcome. The more techie stuff was really about the situation if you didn't have a neutral - but you seem to have found one!
I wired the switched live to one of the poled switches, and I wired the permanent neutral downstream of the other poled switch. It all works as I wanted, i.e. neon on when the fan is on, and off when off and/ or running on timer.
As above, I presume that you found a neutral somewhere - where did you 'find' it, and how did you get it to the switch?

Kind Regards, John

Remind me what DPDT or SPST means...

Obviously double pole something, and single pole something...

Remind me what DPDT or SPST means..
Obviously double pole something, and single pole something...
DPDT = Double Pole, Double Throw (i.e. 2-pole changeover, common in toggle switches, never seen {AFAIAA} in electrical accessories)
SPST = Single Pole, Single Throw (standard SP on/off, or '1-way')
also
DPST = Double Pole, Single Throw (standard DP on/off)
SPDT = Single Pole Double-Throw (as in standard '2-way' light switches)

Kind Regards, John

Remind me what DPDT or SPST means...
Isnt that like a Double pole with centre off and you can switch up or down,
Not per se .... DPDT is just DPDT, as described in my previous post - just two ('changeover') positions. "DPDT-centre off" has the additional centre position, in which nothing is connected to anything. Only seen in toggle switches etc, never (AFAIAA) in electrical accessories.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back