In which way can this garage be converted to a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a situation where back in the 80's, 2 houses both applied for planning permission for the construction or a garage and front porch, but on my side the work didnt get done but the next door neighbour did his.

So what has now happened is that a party wall was built between the 2 properties and either side was a garage, but my side didnt have a front porch constructed, so this has mant that the neighbours front porch has a false pitch which is higher than my garage which has a flat roof.

Now, I want to convert my garage to a habitable room, its only 1.7m wide as pictured, I am not wure how the wall will be constructed and with which material, what I can see for sure is that the party wall will need to be raised to same height as my neighbour since I also want a front porch as well, this poses a problem for me because if I raise teh party wall, does it mean that I just have a cavity wall, and a single skin of brick ?

A builder said to me, I should just put up a 9" block to match the wall behind the garage which was an extension that happened at thesame time but didnt have a front porch/garage wall built.

This is what was submitted over 30yrs ago, the walls next to the blue shaded areas were not constructed till today, i.e garage wall and porch.

review_porch.png

This is the view when looking at the 2 properties, mine is on the left.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-08 at 21.20.26 (1).jpeg

View from inside, the wall by the corner with the black expanding form is a solid 9" block.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-08 at 21.20.26.jpeg

I need to build up the wall to the left to be at least 3.2m to match the neighbour front porch.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-11 at 11.03.29 (1).jpeg

Just by the side of the white timbe stuff is blocks.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-11 at 11.03.29.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back