Building line - can anyone help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking at buying a detached house. When it was built it had an open porch which stood out from the front of the house by about 3-4 feet and was about 4feet each side of the front door.

The porch was just a flat roof with a 3 inch diameter metal pole holding up the 2 corners.

A porch (extension ) has been made by filling in the sides and front of the open porch and removing the front wall and front door (about 8 feet width of wall). So although it is a porch, I believe the removal of the old front door means that it is an extension. As far as I know there was no planning and no building control.

I am looking at doing something but I understand permitted development only applies to a porch which retains the original external door/wall.

I believe that what I am able to do without planning etc will be dependent on where the building line is.

Can anyone tell me whether, generally, the building line will be the front wall of the original house (which is flat) or whether the open, flat topped porch which was there when the house was built constitutes the building line even though it wasnt filled in on 3 sides.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi rjm2k

I am not sure, but I am guessing at least several years at least but there is no building control or planning online.

I will ask the agent to check but the owner died so gathering information may be difficult.

I think it wont comply with building control regs.

If I am going to have to pay to put it right, I want to reflect that in my offer.

Check on Google earth on the historical maps if you can to get an idea when it was done. If it was more than 4 years ago the LA can't really do anything about it. Not meeting regs today isn't a huge issue as long as its safe. Don't mention anything to the council or you may complicate things.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice and the tip about the 4 years rjm2k.

Much appreciated, you are a gent.

haven't got a clue and could be completely wrong
but wouldn't the porch be fairly irrelevant ??
would they not go from the primary elevation or the front wall ??

Building line would be the front of the house, not the front of the porch. Also, building regs are not required for a porch.

It sounds like the original 'porch' was nothing more than a flat roof supported by 2 poles so the building line will be the front face of the house. The porch, as was, is irrelevant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back