Porch and front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently getting to a finishing stage of a loft conversion ( bloody long time but hay ho)
in the front room where the stairs currently enter I need to put a fire door, but at the same time i am intending to increase/fit insulated k17 boards to the front wall. to warm room up
My biggest loss is where the front door is set back from the front wall of the house as we have a 18" wall the is only a single brick thick.
I know the Porch will need planning permission due to the close proximity of the highway ( less than 2mtr)
but as it states the existing front door must remain
Can i move front door to front wall of the house and build a porch or do i need to move door to front wall then apply for a porch so then keeping existing front door.
Only doing to help keep room warm porch action as a buffer
Thanks for any help
not the best but was already upoaded

Sponsored Links
I would submit planning showing the porch and the relocation of the front door on the plans. You may also need a warrant, probably not for the porch if (8m2 or less in Scotland) but for the relocation of the front door!? There is usually a duty planner at your council for free advice to confirm.

Note that Planning rules and Building Regulations are entirely different.

Firstly as you already know you need Planning Permission. Planners won't care if you remove your existing front door or retain it, it is not a planning matter.

It is Building Regulations and their impact that will determine the retention (or not) of the existing front door. If you want to remove the front door then effectively the porch must be built as a proper extension, so cavity walls, insulated to the hilt etc etc and must be inspected and and signed off by Building Control. If you keep the front door then you can downgrade the build significantly (if you wish) as it does not require Building Regs approval.

Sponsored Links
Managed to get through to them!! and the route i will take is
Move door to front wall but this will require lintel and bigger opening. This means i get a decent size front door fitted.
During decorating i will insulate walls and floors. warming up room until I open the front door ( or just shout through the letter box at people lol). this being part of fitting fire door at bottom of stair to front room for the loft
Then a small porch with relevant plans but no building regs apparently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back