Incinerator or bonfire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garden of about .5 acre after moving house, which requires a bit of rough work as it has gotten quite overgrown.

We're in the country with no neighbours, outside smoke-free zones.

Is it better to use an incinerator or a bonfire for burning the fairly large amount of garden waste I'm going to have over the coming months... bushes, small trees, etc... and why?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Bonfire without a doubt. Because an incinerator is a waste of £££

Hire a chipper and turn it into mulch?
I never thought of that. I've quite a lot of yew, is that an issue as I know it's poisonous?

I do quite want to burn things though... childhood memories and all ;)

Sponsored Links
I never thought of that. I've quite a lot of yew, is that an issue as I know it's poisonous?

I do quite want to burn things though... childhood memories and all ;)

We all like a good primeval burn up of course. AFAIK it's only yew berries that are poisonous.

So an incinerator isn't more efficient then?

The two reasons I thought it might be a good idea were:
  1. Might burn hotter so easier to burn green wood and so on
  2. Contains the fire... Safer and less mess

With an incinerator you would have a lot of work cutting all the vegetation down to size, then feeding it in by hand. With a bonfire, just pile it all up and light the blue touch-paper! 0.5 acres should allow a pretty impressive fire :).

I'll keep that in mind, certainly it'd be nice to use it if possible.

it's safer to contain the fire in some way, using what's to hand. Some people use a steel dustbin on legs with holes in the base. I've used a galvanised water tank and punched holes in it with a pecking hammer. Currently use a cast-iron chimena and poke trimmed branches down its chimney, and small material into its belly. Has the advantage that I can cook sausages during breaks. It will be slower but safer than a bonfire, and burn cleaner.

You need some kind of fireproof container.

Hot smuts may blow around and ignite nearby dry material.

I have about a third of an acre that was pretty full of self-planted trees, bushes, etc.

I have given away quite a bit of wood on my local Freegle group,
https://www.ilovefreegle.org/ ,
not just logs but also thinner stuff. Where you are there may well be people with open fires.

I have a shredder and I have shredded lots of the thinnest stuff (up to 40mm), some I have used on the garden and some I have given away on Freegle.

I do have an incinerator (a wire mesh box) in order to contain the fire like JohnD says, but I did not use it much and so I put it away.

What I do use is a large double wooden compost bin, rather like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Double-Twin-Wooden-Compost/dp/B0016N6OTG
which I got for nothing on Freegle! However you can build something with pallets or scrap wood.

I have a number of Dalek compost bins but stuff took quite a long time to break down in them, they are not that big, 220 or 330 litres. Each part of the wooden compost bin holds c. a cubic metre and stuff in there gets a lot hotter (>50C easily and 65C at times) and breaks down a lot faster. I filled both parts with loads of shreddings last June time, I merged them when they had broken down enough and by November the compost was broken down enough to (mostly) go through a 1" sieve. I used quite a bit of that compost in March when I planted some trees and a hedge and it looked good, well broken down.

Most of my trees (well the ones I cut back / down) are laurel, but I have a fair bit of holly and some yew. It all goes in the compost bin.

I bought an incinerator and it was good but a bit slow. After a few beers I emptied it onto the pile of wood and had a bonfire instead.

This time I saved a few small logs for inside:
IMG_0551.JPG

And a couple of bit made into modern art instead of that rusty Chinese rubbish:

IMG_0568.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back