Incinerator or bonfire?

I've had bonfires, incinerators and heavy duty shredders and they all have pros and cons.

1. Shredder - the only thing that's worth it here is one of the industrial shredders £2k+. Anything else is just good for the lightest of privet. After chipping shredding you're still left with a load of material to dispose of which then requires more effort to either bag it up or to barrow into beds/compost.

2. Bonfires - if you have the space and no neighbours then like someone mentioned above you can pretty much chuck anything of any size on it. But, a word of warning from experience. You'll have a bonfire and sit and watch it and get nice an warm from it. Then the next one you have you'll make it just a little bigger. Then after that you'll think, '**** it, i'll stick that old door on it and maybe that sofa I wanted rid of' and before you know it you've nearly burnt down two trees and in danger of getting the fire brigade out! Also, don't ever ever ever thrown petrol on it - unless you want to explode in a ball of flames and have your wife call you a dickhead for the rest of the week!

3. Incinerators - These 7070040_l.jpg - for school girls so don't waste your money.

These
- hotter than the flames of hell!

You can buy an old oil barrel with a removable top for less than £10 from eBay. Get an angle grinder (don't be as precious as the guy in the video) just cut 6-7 slots about the right angle and get a wrecking bar in to open up the cuts and you're away!.

I personally use a vortex/cyclone incinerator now. I'll process the branches and anything over a certain size will go on the wood burner and anything else will go in the incinerator. There's little mess when you've done and I just stick the ash on the beds. You can reduce 6 dumper bags full of trimmings in less than hour down to a carry bag (or 2) full of ash!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back